What Size of Centerboard sheave ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charlotte

We have a 32'sloop rig with a modified keel (3 1/2'draft) with centerboard. Our centerboard cable broke for the 4th time in 17 years. We can't leave the board down as a 7' depth just isn't there for docking let alone the channel to the bay -- we live on the West Coast of Florida. Electrolysis has been a major culprit but maybe not of late. We think the sheaves have deteriorated. Getting specs on correct sizes, and the sheaves in our hands, ready to go before a haul-out, could avert a huge drydock bill. Can anyone offer repair and replacement info?

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
I don't know the size of your C/B sheave

but if you can remove the old one you might be able to have a new one fabricated by a metal working shop. If yours is like mine on my 1967 Tartan 27' there are two spools, one for line, the other for wire rope. I think that this is your best bet unless someone can give you the EXACT measurements that will fit your unnamed brand boat. Use a line around a winch to haul up the C/B while the sheave is out. Good luck.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Your profile shows that you have a

1976 Bristol sloop of indeterminate size, which helps somewhat, but the length and model of your boat will determine which 'sheave' is right for your boat. My previous post still stands - it can be fabricated perhaps for less than a new replacement part if you are lucky. Good luck.

C

charlotte

Centerboard sheave for Bristol

Oops, this is my first time at this. The boat is a Bristol 32, modified keel etc. We are trying to avert long-term drydock expenses by getting the pulleys NOW so we can go right to town once out. (We just hauled out 1 1/2 year ago but didn't see any "visible" cable problem. You're right, when all else fails, we may just have to take the $$$time and remove them and manufacture new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.