What size motor for heavy seas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Torrey

If a new 26X is only stable with water ballast in during heavier weather motoring. is a 50 hp motor necessary or will a 25 or thirty do just as well. In calmer water I can see using the full 50 HP, but I'm more interested in getting something safer and cheaper if I can't push the 50 hp anyway in inclement weather. I hope this makes sense. Thanks; capt. hook - corpus christi

D

dan

Draining Ballast !

Hi John..... I have a 98' 26X and you are correct that it is not stable in rough water without ballast. With ballast you now have a planning hull that acts like a displacement hull. You can only go so fast because of the drag/hull design speed. So.......us owners have had much discussion on this. The only thing nessesary as far as HP on a 26X is enough speed to drain the ballast. This is 8-10 mph on my 26X and requires 25-30HP at sealevel. I am sure a good boat designer can jump in on this and explane the tech stuff on this issue. If you just want to sail and don't need to go 20+mph, get an eariier Mac 26S or 26C with a 10HP motor and displacement hull. They sail better than the 26X. You always had to drain the ballast while pulling out on these models. happy shopping......dan

Status
Not open for further replies.