What size is your hole

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
What size is your hole and does it go thru to the neck of your manifold.

It appears mine does not so the recovery tank system never worked.

Maybe you could look at your system and take a picture and tell me what

size the hole is....................

If are the first one to do that I will teach you the secret on how to do

this dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFYdOWtsT4o&feature=player_embedded

paulj :troll:

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The hole on the inside of the manifold is approx 1/16 diameter. Same for the one on the fitting side of the manifold. I tried shoving a wire through, but no go. Is there a ball check valve? I cannot see one put the hole doesn't go all the way through.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I don't think the hole is supposed to all the way through there. I think the piece that holds the cap is an insert. The hole dumps the antifreeze behind the insert.

Why do you think it's not working?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Its not working because the level in the overflow tank never changes. Not cold or hot. Stays the same. When the engine cools, and I remove the manifold cap, there is a definite intake of air. Instead of air, it should pull fluid from the overflow tank.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Its not working because the level in the overflow tank never changes. Not cold or hot. Stays the same. When the engine cools, and I remove the manifold cap, there is a definite intake of air. Instead of air, it should pull fluid from the overflow tank.
:theman:

KZW

May 17, 2014
I've got all the manuals and have seen nothing in them about this issue.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
I've got all the manuals and have seen nothing in them about this issue.
Subject: RE: what dia size hole.

Hello Mr. Johnson,

The only help I can give you is to contact a Universal/Westerbeke dealer (Westerbeke bought Universal some years ago). There may be a dealer in your area.

In St. Petersburg, FL the local dealer is Yacht Power, 727-822-2628, http://yachtpowerproducts.com/. Ask for Ben. Best of luck.

Thank you,

Len

Len Keller

Catalina Yachts Parts Dept.

7200 Bryan Dairy Road

Largo, FL 33777

727-544-6681 x266

lkeller@catalinayachts.com

KZW

May 17, 2014
If you contact Westebeke or local folks, I'd love to hear what they say.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The hole should go into the ring that the cap attaches to. The cap has a pressure valve (the spring and rubber seal to the radiator) that releaes pressure from the engine as it heats. pressure lifts the valve and coolant excapes. has to go to the tank due to the gasket at the top sealing the radaitor. There is another valve that opens on vacume and lets coolant from the recovery tank get sucked back into the radiator.
I'd check the cap to see if the spring can be depressed. I've seen them get rusty and need attention.

KZW

May 17, 2014
There is a hole from the tank side. There is also a hole on the manifold side. However there is either a check valve, or some type of metal between them. The cap sits down on the manifold. I don't see how the hole that goes into the ring on which the cap sits can lift the cap, as there is no entry from the seat to the cap.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
There is a hole from the tank side. There is also a hole on the manifold side. However there is either a check valve, or some type of metal between them. The cap sits down on the manifold. I don't see how the hole that goes into the ring on which the cap sits can lift the cap, as there is no entry from the seat to the cap.

Now there is.......................

paulj :hook2:

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Paulj,

Please let me know if your modification works!

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
It seems to me that I have to take out the drill bit..............next

Feb 20, 2013
Catalina 310 Channel Islands Harbor
I would wait to see how this turns out and reread post #3 from Jesse before I got the drill out.
I think he is correct about the insert.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
I would wait to see how this turns out and reread post #3 from Jesse before I got the drill out.
I think he is correct about the insert.
All you have to do to help this ......... is remove your manifold cap and check if there is a hole.

Jesse is having such a good time:wow3: he has not had a chance to check if his system works.