What size inflatible tender ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lachlan Hughes

I have recently purchased a Beneteau 361 . I am looking to buy an inflatible as an occasional tender and would appreciate any hints or feedback as to size ,stowage and any other commentsl

G

Gary Jensen

tender choices

My present setup has proven to be the best. I had an Avon 9+ foot hard bottom with a 5 h.p. Nissan,a Avon inflatable rover, a Nissan 12'6" with a 30 horse! and Achillies 8'6" with a 2 1/2 h.p. and a 5 h. p, (both Nissans)... MY SELECTION....The Achilles 8'6" with the 5 h.p. Nissan. The weight and the ability to plane were the deciding factors.....good luck

C

Claude Labrecque

Just be carefull to weight

We have selected an 9 foot inflatable with honda 5 HP / 4 strokes. It works very well. The only problem I did not consider at time of purchase is the extra weight of the 4 strokes engine. 62 pounds is a lot to put on the transom braket without a lifting device. When sailing, we are towing the inflatable without the motor. If I had to do it again, I would consider the lighter 2 strokes alternative and balance my decision between higher weight / less pollutant 4 strokes and lighter, smokier 2 strokes. The choice is yours...

B

Bryan C.

Lotsa options

There is tons written about this in the archives. Depends on what is important to you - convenience, performance, price. You can get 2/3 but not all three! If you have no place to permanently stow the boat (i.e. davits), convenience is going to be important -- you need an air floor or roll up. If performance is most important, you want a RIB or hard floor. If money is a factor, RIBs and air floors are more expensive. I'm cheap, lazy, and didn't have any place to put mine. So I got a WM RU-260 for $850 and a Nissan 3.5 for $500. The former weighs 37lb and the latter 28lbs with built in gas tank. Setup and knock down are cake from the boat or dock. Slat-floor rolls up to fit in my dock box or lazarette. Holds 880 lbs and 4 people (with wet butt). Putters us around fine to and from shore in protected waters. But if you want ruggedness or performance ....

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Quality is first.

Quality ultimately costs less in the inflatable world. If you buy a hypalon dink, you may have it for 15 or more years. If you buy PVC and leave it in the sun you may be purchasing a new one as soon as the warranty runs out. Have to agree that a 9-10' with air floor or slats is the way to go.

T

Tom Senator

Steve, what about the new lite-weight RIB's

Some in the 9-10' range are less than 100lbs and the seen to perform fairly well. Negatives -they tend to be about 40-50% more money and they will not fold into a bag. But if that is not an issue (e.g. as a tender most people just leave 'em inflated for the season) and plus with a hard bottom it seems like it will take alot more abuse. What's your thoughts?

K

Kent Johnson

Seaeagle

I was looking for a tender recently and was put off by the prices of the standard tenders by Avon, Zodiac and Achilles. I checked the web out and came up with seaeagle.com. I bought the 8se, holds 4 people, 995 lbs and was below $400 and weighs 35 pounds rolled up, and that's the NEW price. I was looking at used Avon's in the same size category and that was the going price. It's upgradable too, you can add solid floor, motor, tarps, etc. Check em out before you buy.

P

Patrick Ewing

Zodiac has a new RIB

It has a folding transom and stows deflated in a bag about 3 feet by 6 feet by 10 inches or so which could be put below for crossing the straits, etc. I saw one at Inflatable Boatworks in Seattle and they were on sale for about $1800 this summer. They weigh 77 pounds if memory serves me correctly and they will take up to a 10 HP (or is it 8 HP) engine. The transom is hinged with a fabric hinge that looks like the weakest point to me. PVC fabric but if you stow it in the bag, it should last a long time. I opted for a 310 Avon RIB since we have an 18HP engine. It is heavy at 150 pounds but it is very stable, goes like crazy and I can put it on the foredeck using the halyard.

B

bob

lightweight rib from ab/aria

i've just bought one of the new lightweight rib's manufacturered by ab/aria from abs thermoplastic...tubes are hypalon...10 ft tender only weights 70 lbs. compared to about 150 for a std rib...the abs isn't quite as rigid as glass laminate, but i couldn't resist the light weight...long-term durability is a little unclear, so it's a bit of an experiment...

L

Lou Trubiano

Trust Achilles

After years of sailing and having different tenders, I learned that you can't go wrong with a Hypalon inflatable and Achilles makes the best. They now have an inflatable floor model (LSI) in a number of lengths which is lightwight, sturdy and tough. Incrdibly easy to store and inflate. My last Achilles lasted 15 years. I expect my new LSi-96 to last at least as long.

P

Paul Akers

When you finally get one...

...you might want to consider getting a cover for it if you plan on leaving it in the water. I went down to the boat yesterday after being away for a week and a pair of mallards decided to use my dink as a roost. I've never seen so much puckey on/in the boat before. Combined with the rain we had this week it's a disgusting and discouraging mess.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
West Marine

We started out with a Leisure Life 8' tender. It was 'tender" alright! First time I used it, with a 2ho motor on it, I tipped the %$&# thing over! We sold it to some other guy (sucker) who was looking for a tender (he got one, all right!) and bought a 9'6" West Marine inflatable with the removable floor boards. It works like a champ, is easy to stow/tow. I 've had it deflated and sitting on deck just forward of the mast, and also had it in the same place, turned upside down, while inflated. No problemo! The whole package weighs just 70 lbs. and breaking it down into 2 "piles" (the floor boards in one, the raft itself, the other) makes it very easy to carry around. I also bought a cover for it, but haven't quite figured out how to use it properly. It tend to fill with water when it rains making for quite a mess. I guess the cover protects it from the UV rays though. And either way, with or without the cover, it would fill with water. I use a 2hp Honda 4-cycle motor with it and it pushes it along just fine and no messing with oil/gas mixtures!

A

Al Budding

Zodiac

In some circles, not a popular choice. I bought my 310 fastroller in 1996. It is light (about 57 lbs.) and has an inflatable floor. Power it with an 8hp whatever. I chose Nissan, and you can smoke along at 15k or so with about a 300 lb. load. The Zodiac has been no end of trouble, but looking back, it was worth the hassle. If you buy one, be sure it is new and under warranty. Then, plan to throw it away in five years. Good luck in your search. A.B.

M

Mickey Goodman

Inflatables

I purchased a West Marine 8'6" Zodiac inflatable with rib flooring. If I had to do it over again I would by the hard flooring and the size would be atleast 10'. The 8'6" is OK for two people but thats as many as I would feel safe in the boat at one time. The 10' would hold 4 people confortably. I like the hard floor because it is more stable when entering and exiting the boat. When not in use I store by dingy on the deck usually upside down just to keep the water out. One nice thing about the Zodiac I have is that there is a self bailing plug in the boat so that when I have stored it right side up on the deck if it rains there is no accumulation of rain to deal with. Another consideration is the weight of the dingy. Of course the 10' would weight more but I don't think so much more that I couldn't get it aboard. If you are thinking of storing it on your deck. I would recommend that you have your life lines at the bow converter to a pelican hook so that you can put them down when you hoist the dink aboard. I haven't done it yet but will do so when I purchase new life lines this winter.

T

Tom Lukas

Inflatable

This year I went from a 8' FG tender to an Achilles LSI-88 I bought from a vendor in Ca. Don't know about other inflatables but the achilles is extremely stable. The LSI modelS I have a 4 hp johnson and it'll plane with just me in it, makes going to and from my mooring a pleasure.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Tom Senator......

Tom: I looked at the Caribe last year and it seems like a very nice unit. The Caribe is still using a single fiberglass hull on their lite weight units. Looks like some have changed over to some injection molded plastics which will probably be very good as long as you don't break them. They make canoes out of this stuff and it is very tough. As I said earlier you need to buy a hypalon fabric unless you plan on keeping it stored. If you get gasoline on PVC fabric it will turn it sticky and as far as I know it cannot be repaired. If you have a dog, their toe nails are a problem. PVC is not very abrasive resistant either. There should be some good deals at the shows. So if you are looking to buy a unit, stop by and see all of the different boats and ask them about their units and see what they have to say. Most of them that sell different brands and fabric types will give you the straight scoop.

A

A.L. ("Jim") Willis Pres of ISLAND GIRL PROD.

The Tinker- dink, liferaft & sailing dinghy in one

NAyonone going cruising should get one. For the following reasons: 1. Double hulls make it virtually unsinkable 2. Catamaran-type hulls and fine bow aid in rowing and easy of entry formt he water. 3. It has a hard roll-up floor yet doubles as life rafts with inflatable canopy so that it can be righted without exiting the vessel. 4. It has sails and oars and acts as a lifeboat that can be sailed to safety. I have had my Tinker since 1994 and it has been been sadly neglected on the davits in Honolulu and yet restored almost like new (alhtough I did use IG products!). THis is best value in any book and can be seen on Tinkers.com Jim W

R

Robert Vincent

Inflatable tender

I own a beneteau 352. My tender is an Avon Rib 3,10 m with a 2hp honda 4 stroke engine. The RIB is quickly inflated, weight is not an issue in spite of a rigid wooden floor. As far as storage is concerned I stowe it in my cockpit locker as well as the outboard motor. Regards, robert vincent Beneteau 352, 2e souffle

Status
Not open for further replies.