What size batteries for a Catalina 27 do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Now that I'm back home I will have a million questions about this boat. First off what batteries have you used and been a happy with. The boat is set up for two batteries and has a switch. The compartments hold a 7 x 10 battery each. The motor is a Zephyr 15 two stroke in board.
The sales person made several suggestion but had no real opinion. She suggested a deep-cell battery and a combination battery. She also suggested that I could go with two deep cell batteries since the motor won't demand much.
What have you guys used and are happy with. I would like to stay within the confines of what I have and not add more batteries or go with 6 volts.
Thanks for your help.

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
Two Group 24s will do just fine, but Group 27s should fit in the same spaces and have more reserve capacity. The Marine batteries sold at Walmart and Costco are very good quality and a better price than you will find elsewhere. The combination deep cycle/start batteries that they sell are good for your use. I have used both in my C27 over the years.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Thanks I ended up stopping in a battery store where all he sells is batteries and alternators. He turned out to be a really nice man and with the same last name I'm sure we're related. I got two Interstate Group 24 batteries that are rated a 140 RC for $110 each. That will give me more than enough storage for a 4 day weekend. They fit right into the existing holder and battery well. He told me that the Walmart battery is crap, but they still seem to get good ratings.
Anyway the electrical systems are firing up one at a time.
Thanks,

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for the Cat 27?

I've searched the Internet and cannot find anything. Does one even exist. It appears that everything on the boat is stock so a diagram would save me a ton of time.
Thanks,

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
I don't have a diagram and have never seen one. Sorry. I just followed the wires around to see where they went and figured it out.

Interstates are good batteries, but Interstate does not actually manufacture their batteries. Most are made by Johnson Controls, who also makes Diehards, Kirklands (Costco) and yes Everstart (Walmart) marine batteries, along with many other brands.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I would like to stay within the confines of what I have and not add more batteries or go with 6 volts.

You've been around this forum for a loooong time and glad you're back.

That question can not be answered unless you know how you're going to use your boat. Marina hopping? Two or even one battery would suffice. Anchoring overnight? Hmmm, need more juice. What electrical loads do you have on the boat? Do you like candles or light bulbs?Really, do an energy budget and figure out what YOU need, not what other people are doing. And the boat size has absolutely NOTHING to do with electrical loads.

Try this for a budget: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3976.0.html

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
The size of the battery well kind of limits things. 280 Amp hrs should do me fine for 4 or 5 days. I was glad to see they made that capacity in a group24.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
As they say, "depends on your needs". I am adding three 110 amp to supply onboard air needs for my admiral for the sultry afternoons. May only supply 4-5 hours but beats the alternative on 100 degree days, and will come in handy in cooler days for other needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.