What should I look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ricky Carroll

Hi, I just joined this forum today and have some newbie questions regarding the trailerable Catalinas. After a 15 year hiatus from sailing, I am ready to get back in the water (long story). But, I had the opportunity to go out on a nearby lake Saturday (on a British Luger 22 yawl) and had a blast. As a result, I've really gotten the fever again. Anyway, my previous experience was pretty much as racing crew on bigger boats (one tonners, including an old Ranger 37 I helped rebuild, a J30, a few J35's back in the eighties), but I've never owned a boat of any type, or done much sailing on trailerable craft or on cruisers (once charted a C30 though...I really liked it for cruising, even though it was kinda slow. Much of what I learned from that boat and from other owners made me lean toward Catalina as a good family boat.). I don't know much about swing keels and the problems they may encounter (do the bolts ever corrode and make them fall off?), water ballast and the negatives that might go with it or the potential problems with such a system, no do a I know what to look for as a quick "first look" survey of a potential purchase. I WILL arrange a real survey, but I need a little info before I even start looking. I am interested in picking up a C22 or C25 (water ballast), but if I go the used route, what caveats, and suggestions do you guys have for me? I don't want a project, so I wonder how old a boat (C22) it would be practical to own, nor do I want to pay too much in fear my wife and kids will not love it as much as I did (do..er, WILL). Anyway...I just wanted to throw this out there...and see what you guys might think....

D

Don

Catalina Info

Check out the Catalina 25/250 Association website. In the tech tips section it has a couple of articles about the different Cat 25's and also an article about what to look out for. http://c25c250.best.vwh.net/restricted/tech25.html

Status
Not open for further replies.