What outboard for a 19?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Does anyone have any experience with an electric motor on their 19?
Yes. Here is the history of my electric motoring.

Our 1983 O'Day 19 came with a 5 HP 2-cycle outboard in 2007. We hated the noise and extra maintenance. Having always been interested in electric motoring (going back to the 1960s), I decided to experiment the year after getting the boat.

At the time, a Minn Kota Endura 50 was an economical choice. Even with the Kipawa aftermarket propeller, top speed was 4 mpg. This was very functional for maneuvering around docks and mooring fields for a fair weather sailor. I still use this setup as a backup because of its simplicity — and I prefer sailing, perfecting my sailing skills.

In 2009 we got a Capri 22 for a "bigger boat" feel. Our O'Day 19 became our "trailer sailer" due to the simplicity of rigging and trailering distances especially compared to the "beginning and ending" rigging and trailering of the Capri 22.

The Capri 22 came with a gas outboard. Again we wanted to eliminate the noise. I mounted the Minn Kota Endura 50 on the Capri and surprisingly was able to move the boat in the mooring field BUT when the wind picked up, steering was not so easy (unlike using it on the O'Day 19).

In 2011 I purchased a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 electric outboard. It was rated as a 5 HP equivalent. And it was a true assessment. I could motor the Capri 22 in any weather to hull speed except in the worst of winds (>> 30 knots) and got darn near hull speed. I had not had a chance to run the Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 on the O'Day, yet.

At the end of the 2017 season I had trouble with the lead acid batteries and planned on updating to lithium iron phosphate chemistry batteries ("drop-in" for lead acid substitution and the safest chemistry) come next Spring. But I wanted to still have something to finish up the rest of the season. So I purchased a Torqeedo Travel 1003c (3 HP equivalent) with a self-contained lithium battery. My rationale was to move the Travel to the O'Day 19 replacing the aging Minn Kota.

The Travel 1003c moves the O'Day 19 easily to hull speed in almost all conditions one would want to sail the O'Day 19.

If this more powerful version was available in 2011, I would have gone with the Travel. The Travel pushed my Capri 22 at hull speed "most" of the time. The highest winds slowed it to only 4 knots vs 6 knots (hull speed).

We recently purchased a Catalina 310 (accelerating the "2-foot-itis") and are selling the Capri 22 this Spring. The Travel 1003c is moving to our dinghy and the Cruise 2.0 will go on the O'Day 19. The new Minn Kota Endura 55 is my backup for either the dinghy or the O'Day if needed. We are keeping the O'Day 19 since it is such an enjoyable and easy to rig sailboat.

So to answer your question: YES, powering an O'Day 19 with an electric motor is very doable.
  • The Travel 1003c is the most convenient since everything is self-contained AND gives you plenty of power and speed.
  • The Minn Kota is great for maneuvering in protected waters knowing that 4 mph (3 knots) will be your top speed.
  • The Cruise 2.0 is "awesome".
I have been talking primarily about Torqeedo brand because that was way I could find at a reasonable cost when I started upsizing. ePropulsion has equivalent models and nicer pricing. ePropulsion is giving Torqeedo a run for its money causing Torqeedo to accelerate its R&D and product releases. This benefits us end users. I am all for this form of healthy capitalism.

Whichever pathway you choose, you should be satisfied as long as you understand the limitations (specifically the Minn Kota Endura). Most of all, enjoy the quiet and lack of maintenance compared to a gas-powered outboard.

I am now investigating how to convert my Catalina 310 to electric drive with the diesel as a backup. The options increase every month.