What motor should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woody

There are a lot of people trying to sell me a motor for my boat. I'm going new. What is best for the job I want it to do? I understand a 5 or 6 hp is more than enough. I want a nice, quiet little no problem type motor.

R

Rick

Go Honda!

Woody: I hate to say it, but the Japanese have got their act together on outboards. Honda four stroke is the only way to go. My '94 Honda 9.9 has been a great motor. Go as big as you can afford, both in price and weight. It is better to be overpowered a bit than to find yourself losing the battle against wind and current. Rick s/v DevOcean

M

Mike

My Choice

I went with a Honda 9.9. I got mine used but it is everything I needed and more. The one nice thing about it is it is a four stroke so it is quiet and it has a charging coil to charge my 12 volt battery when under power. More than 10 HP is wasted. Mike

W

Woody

Thank you Mike and Rick

Thank you Mike and Rick. Sounds like I want one of those 9.9's, and that's the way I will lean.

J

Jerry

Please see. . .

Please see the article: Outboard motor advice 1984 - 22 I just bought new and did a lot of research. -Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.