What model is my Cal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael

My father has given me what I was told is a 24' Cal. However none of the pics I find online of other 24' Cal's look like mine. For one thing, I have an engine well where the others are setup with an engine mount on the rear. Also, my boat has a shoal draft keel where others I've found have a deeper draft. Anyone heard of a 24' draft Cal with an engine well and shoal keel? Thanks, Michael

L

LEE

CAL 24?

Is she a 60s era boat? If so maybe it a Columbia 24'. We had one when I was a kid. Lee

M

Michael

Cal Model

Sorry about that. It's a 1968. I've done some research on Cals but haven't come across any related Columbia info. Were they made by the same folks back then or what? Thanks.

A

Al Searway

Cal 24 1960's model with swing keel

I have a Cal 24 swing keel built in the 1960's(no hull number). She sail great on Lake Guntersvill. Originall bought in California where she was made. Trailered to Florida,then to Maine where I bought her in 1972. I have sailed her on Lake Guntersville, Alabama since 1977. I will include photos if the will transmit via e-mail. Al Searway

M

Michael

Cal Model

I'd be interested in any Cal 24 pics anyone has available. Send them to me at mawilli@hotmail.com and I'll try to get some pics of my boat so maybe somone else can help identify her.

P

phil jay

cal 24

I'd be interested in seeing a picture. I remember Cal 24's that actually had a swing keel. some had outboard mounts on the stern and some would mount them inside the engine "well". The ones I remember have a raised cabin, not the flush deck like the cal 25.

M

Michael

Cal Model

Bear with me if my terminology isn't exactly correct. I'm pretty new to the world of sailing. My boat does not have a swing-keel. It has a solid keel but it's a very shallow draft. I was told this is called a shoal keel. That sound right? The keel runs further along the bottom of the hull and is not as deep. I won't be able to get a pic of the keel any time soon as I have it in a wet-slip right now. Also, the cabin is raised a bit above the deck unlike the flush deck of the Cal 25. I'll try to get some pics after work today.

M

Michael

Cal Model

Check out this link. http://pages.sssnet.com/go2erie/wind.htm The Cal 27 pictured first on the page looks incredibly like my boat. The hull design and cabin look alot alike.

B

Bob McClure

Cal T/4

I think you might have a Cal T/4, a 24' cal which was designed with an inboard engine option. I think the orginal engine offered was a Vetus. The engine compartment is underneath the center companion way step. I owned one some years ago and reget to this day ever selling her; I have a standing offer with the current owner to buy her back! I used the engine compartment for battery storage, ships provisions, etc. She is stiff, a great sailor, with lots of "lounging" room below decks. I miss her alot. Bob McClure S/V Enterprise Cal 35

J

John Dawson

This is a T/4

The T/4, or quarter-tonner, doesn't have a motor well in this picture but it is one of the few Cal/Lapworth 24 footers with a solid keel. Its almost a flat-top except for the small deck at the bow.

J

John Dawson

T/4 picture

Hum, picture uploading seems to have malfunctioned. Try again.

M

Michael

Cal Model

Ok. Apparently no photo option. Well I finally go the registration for the boat from my dad and it says it's a 1966 Cal. I don't know that this is correct so I'm trying to find the hull number. Any input where I should be able to find it on an older Cal?

A

Andrzej

Help

I have a 1962 Cal 24 with a swing keel,do you have any information or no anyone that has any information on this Cal and where i can obtain it? thank you for your help andrzej

M

Michael

Cal Model

Wow, that looks just like my Cal. So I guess my boat is older than I thought. I found another picture of a 1961 Cal 24 at this site ftp://ftp.sailnet.com/Cal/ that looks like mine also. Do you have any more pics of your 1962? The fella with the 1961 has done alot of work on his so I'm emailing him to see what other info I can obtain. Thanks for the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.