what makes a columbia so special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

york brown

I have heard stories of columbia boat owners being fanatical, what is it about columbias that that instills that kind of zealous following?

Y

york brown

I have heard stories of columbia boat owners being fanatical, what is it about columbias that that instills that kind of zealous following?

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
you mean that there are other makes besides columbia? Larry Wilson Columbia 8.7 Columbia Challenger 24

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
you mean that there are other makes besides columbia? Larry Wilson Columbia 8.7 Columbia Challenger 24

Y

york brown

beginner

I just bought my first sailboat, 68 columbia 28, and I haven't even taked delivery of her yet. I have no frame of reference to judge by. How do columbias outshine other makes?

Y

york brown

beginner

I just bought my first sailboat, 68 columbia 28, and I haven't even taked delivery of her yet. I have no frame of reference to judge by. How do columbias outshine other makes?

N

narr

Columbia zelots

They are cheap an they have a dismal reputation by the kind of know-it-alla like those of "Practical Sailor" and those sail-journalists serving brokerage houses [and don't they all]... Columbias are always boats with character and serve well Narr Columbia 26 MK II

N

narr

Columbia zelots

They are cheap an they have a dismal reputation by the kind of know-it-alla like those of "Practical Sailor" and those sail-journalists serving brokerage houses [and don't they all]... Columbias are always boats with character and serve well Narr Columbia 26 MK II

R

Rodney

Columbia boats are awesome.

They are heavily built with sound designs and are simply very hardy vessels. When buying, don't let the low cost (sort of) fool you, most are worth twice as much, due to public misconception of "newer is better". This is particularly true if you will be doing some small fixer-upper projects. Yes, some of these beauties have been neglected, but most have held out quite well despite abusive owners. A similar boat, (new or old) would still not be half the boat. Viva Columbia!

R

Rodney

Columbia boats are awesome.

They are heavily built with sound designs and are simply very hardy vessels. When buying, don't let the low cost (sort of) fool you, most are worth twice as much, due to public misconception of "newer is better". This is particularly true if you will be doing some small fixer-upper projects. Yes, some of these beauties have been neglected, but most have held out quite well despite abusive owners. A similar boat, (new or old) would still not be half the boat. Viva Columbia!

T

Tim Long

Good old boats!

My friend and I purchased a 1966 Columbia C-24 that had been "let go" and was in need of some restoration. We spent last fall, winter, and spring getting her back into shape and sailed it for the season. WE LOVE THIS BOAT!!! It is solid as a rock, sails well, and is comfortable to sleep in. No creaks, moans, just a solid feeling boat that takes on all kinds of weather. We are very much looking forward to another season sailing around Boston Harbor and the Islands.

T

Tim Long

Good old boats!

My friend and I purchased a 1966 Columbia C-24 that had been "let go" and was in need of some restoration. We spent last fall, winter, and spring getting her back into shape and sailed it for the season. WE LOVE THIS BOAT!!! It is solid as a rock, sails well, and is comfortable to sleep in. No creaks, moans, just a solid feeling boat that takes on all kinds of weather. We are very much looking forward to another season sailing around Boston Harbor and the Islands.

S

Scott Mignery

big seas in a 28

My old buddy Ted and I took my c28; the INCIPIENT up the west coast of Michign to Muskegon. We decided to cross with another couple as they were in a Catalina 30. The seas were predicted to lay down from 5-7 to 3-5. So we went for it. Half way to Port Washington, WI, the winds picked up again and we swear we manuvered through the occassional rogue 12 footer, as the winds were on the beam. I was happily impressed with the manuverability with the fin keel and spade rudder. We could turn her on a dime at the top of a wave and descend with elan. We didn't have the rounding up problems our friends in the Catalina did. We had a handy zipper main we called the auto reefer the helped us maintain good control. Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.