What kind of wind do you sail for fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CO Editorial

How much wind is enough to get your hands twitching for a sheet? What does it take to draw a tiny bead of saliva to the corner of your mouth, and make you fish out the keys to the dock lock? Are you most comfortable in wind that allows level wine glasses... or is a romp in the blow of San Francisco Bay more your style? Tell us about your anemometer heaven here.

G

Gary Jensen

ideal winds

San Francisco Bay is truly a "sailor paradise" The wind is almost always available during the summer months. When Its my wife and I sailing, I prefer around 18 knots. Its still comfortable up to twenty two-twenty four knots.If its me with two or three other guys sailing, then turn it UP!!! especially if there is another competent sailor on board. When I crew on another 36 and we fly a spinnaker, I prefer 12 to 16 knots as it is my position to dip the pole at the mast and bow.Wind above that makes it tougher to have a stable footing on deck.Winds less than that don't really test your skills of racing....Gary

W

William Rue

Keeps the wife calm

10 to 12 knots allows my wife to relax in the cockpit, and not ask me to think about reefing every two minutes.

F

Fritz Merizon

Who's the crew...

When we're sailing as a family (two kids, 4 and 6) anything up to 20 knts is fast and fun. Above 20, the first reef goes in to flatten the boat. The kids have enjoyed 25 knts with 8 footers, can't say the same for mom though!

E

Ed P.

Keeping it comfortable

Since I do not race, I'm not particularly interested in speed. I simply enjoy being on the water with the sound of the wind going through the rigging. I prefer about 8-10 MPH as a general rule. This allows my boat to move along smartly, I get to cover a reasonable amount of my sailing waters, and no one aboard gets into "white knuckle" mode. I dislike it when the wind drops below 5 MPH, because it takes a lot of extra attention just to keep the boat moving. Ed P. "See Da Moon" S/N 13106

B

Bill Mundy

Thought I was the only one!

Thought my wife was the only one! It's not so much wind as it is heel, but she definitely likes the faster ride, but hates the heeling over and the waves. Liked William Rue of Sarasota's response. Nothing beats a competent crew in a rough sea, definitely the best rush out there.

C

CO Editorial

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 2/14/2000: What kind of wind do you like to sail for fun? 69% 11-18 knots 19% 19-24 knots 7% under 10 knots 5% 25+ knots

D

D.E. Newton

Cajones at about 15 degrees

I like it when San Francisco Bay is blowing at a steady 15-19 knots, with a slack tide, maybe one reef in for security blanket. Naima, my Catalina 27, heels over to about and I've got to brace one foot up to steady myself at the wheel. When it gets to blowing like a banshee, either I throw in another reef, added after last year's windiest year on record, or duck behind Treasure Island or head to the South Bay. DEN

Status
Not open for further replies.