What kind of outboard Mac25

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vangoghz

I have recently purchased a Mac25. The boat does not have an outboard so my question is what is the HP limits? Any brand or HP that you would recommend? And where is the best place to get a motor, price being the main concern? Also, I purchased the boat in Tampa and live in Kentucky does anyone know of a good (CHEAP) transport company? Vangoghz@aol.com

W

Woody

Nessan

I just got a 4 stroke, 4 HP Nessan for mine, and it seems to have more power than I need. A sweet little thing that has given me no trouble. I got it from onlineoutboards.com my service was great and the motor was here right when they said it would be. When I ask this question on here, most came back with Honda, 9.9 four stroke, and I would have gone bigger, and probable Honda if I had the extra money, but I am very happy with what I have.

J

John Keklak

Honda 9.9 is a great option

My Macgregor 25 came with a Honda 9.9 4-stroke. It is quiet, more than enough power, gets pretty good gas mileage, easy to start, easy to lift/lower, requires minimal maintenance (oil changes and winterizing). I highly recommend it.

M

Mike

Why a Honda?

I searched out and hunted down a Honda 9.9 (also known as a 10 horse but rated 9.9 for tax and other legal reasons) for my 25. In a big blow or swift current you will be glad to have the power. It's quiet, economical and reliable. Anything bigger is a waste of power as you have a displacement hull and your top speed, short of a 500 hp racing engine, is determined by physics. The 10 has all the power you can use AND it has a charging system to keep your 12 volt battery topped up. Happy Sailing, Mike

C

Chip Giles

Trailer it

Trailer it. No such thing as a cheap transport company. They trailer well. We have logged several thousand miles of trailering.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Weight of the motor?

Be aware that 4 stroke outboards weigh much more than two strokes. i.e., my old Johnson Sail Master ultra long shaft 8 hp two stroke: 46 lbs. My new Nissan four stroke 6 hp long shaft: 55 lbs. How much weight do you think that your swing-up motor mount can safely handle? How much weight on that mount will start causing cracks in the transom fiberglass? I believe that MacGregor originally recommended no more than 10 hp (two stoke) motors. How much did they weigh? Just something to consider....

M

Mike

One Last consideration

Many states either have or are about to enact legislation banning two stroke outboard motors from some areas due to oil pollution in the water and the smoke and smell of burning two stroke oil. If you buy a two stroke you may find yourself banned from some areas, either now or in the future. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.