What is this?

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
This has been on the boat since we purchased in 2013. I used to know what this was but cannot remember. Can anyone enlighten me?20210104_090824.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
That is a flagpole, used to keep various types of flags from laying around the cockpit, or drying underwear in a pinch. The bottom part probably fits in a 1" mount on your stern rail, and the clips are probably adjustable to fit various dimensions of flags.

Jan 17, 2013
Makes sense except there is no place to mount this. Have a separate flag holder and flagpole on the stern. But I suppose if it has been on the boat and not used for 8 years then I should trash it!

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
… then I should trash it.
or sell it on eBay for $10 to someone who broke theirs off when a dockhand "helped" them into a slip by grabbing it. The pole looks to be a West Marine brand (not the highest quality like Taylor) and sells for $15. They also sell a clamp to mount on a rail for about $40, if you'd like to add a second flag.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Flag Pole with flag attachments
we have a wooden one that is cetoled

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
It is likely the manual bilge pump handle. White cover, port side under seat. See if fits. Looks like someone did add flag clips to it. I guess you could flag down help while pumping...

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a Flag Pole for a small ensign.

Here you go. The pole and the mount bracket..

1609806846740.png

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
It is likely the manual bilge pump handle. White cover, port side under seat. See if fits. Looks like someone did add flag clips to it. I guess you could flag down help while pumping...
Seems pretty long for the manual bilge pump. Not sure it would fit in the space on a C310.

Jan 17, 2013
Not for the manual bilge pump - that is a different handle altogether. I do recall removing the holder for this from the bow pulpit rail years ago because I did not know what it was. Now I know but have a flag halyard from the spreader now so will get rid of this thing! Thanks.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Not for the manual bilge pump - that is a different handle altogether. I do recall removing the holder for this from the bow pulpit rail years ago because I did not know what it was. Now I know but have a flag halyard from the spreader now so will get rid of this thing! Thanks.
A lot of the powerboats at my yacht club have a flag holder on the bow pulpit for the club burgee, but I can't imagine having one like that on a sailboat!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... A lot of the powerboats at my yacht club have a flag holder on the bow pulpit for the club burgee, but I can't imagine having one like that on a sailboat!...
IIRC, the idea was when power boats visited a marina as a " courtesy/reciprocating" yacht club " you could get a free slip if you flew your home marina flag so as to I.D. you as from a "cooperating marina". The short bow staff was easy to set up when in such a marina, but not be in the way at sea.

Last edited: