What is this part?

Nov 18, 2019
Hunter 30T Hingham, MA
Hi

Yesterday during winterizing I noticed something very concerning with my engine. The pan underneath had a good deal of oil mixed with some clumped rust particles. Additionally there was a part that looks like some sort of collar that was laying in the oil and I can't tell what it's from.
IMG_20191117_144359.jpg

IMG_20191117_144313.jpg

IMG_20191117_144326.jpg

My boat is 1991 Hunter 30T with Yanmar 2GM20F.

The mystery part almost looks like a piece from my old stuffing box that I had professionally replaced in the spring. Perhaps it was left somewhere on the engine and fell down eventually from vibrations and is unrelated to the oil leak. However, somehow I doubt that.

I usually check the engine on a pretty regular basis but the last couple of times I ran it at the dock while doing end of season work and didn't look underneath so it's unclear when the leak happened.

The engine still has a good deal of oil in it and starts and runs fine and sounds same as always. Also with the engine running I don't notice any additional oil leaking or dripping anywhere.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 18, 2019
Hunter 30T Hingham, MA
Yeah it looks very similar but not quite the same. That's what has me puzzled. Here is what mine looked like before it too got replaced with PSS :)
IMG_20190407_164921.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have the same boat and I replaced my plastic shaft seal with a LasDrop Gen II. That does look like the innards of the old one. I still have mine for some strange reason. I can look inside tonight and see if that is part of it.

Nov 18, 2019
Hunter 30T Hingham, MA
I have the same boat and I replaced my plastic shaft seal with a LasDrop Gen II. That does look like the innards of the old one. I still have mine for some strange reason. I can look inside tonight and see if that is part of it.
Thank you, I would very much appreciate that!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It looks like an oil seal to me. Check the inside diameter and see if it matches the shaft on the engine.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The greenish stuff inside the collar looks like packing material - does the inside diameter of the material match your prop shaft?

Nov 18, 2019
Hunter 30T Hingham, MA
It looks like an oil seal to me. Check the inside diameter and see if it matches the shaft on the engine.
Thank you for the idea. I am googling this but it seems like the oil seals are much thinner than this and I am not sure how this would come off with the shaft still attached.

Nov 18, 2019
Hunter 30T Hingham, MA
The greenish stuff inside the collar looks like packing material - does the inside diameter of the material match your prop shaft?
I believe it does but I have not measured it precisely when I was on the boat yesterday. Some of the pieces inside the collar are soft(-ish) and other seem like some sort of ceramic material.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do not worry about that part, just clean up the pan, check the oil level in the engine and keep an eye for any leaks or drop in the oil level. Many years ago in an old boat I had a rusted oil line develop a puncture and almost all the oil got pumped out, the warning buzzer was out and I was only alerted by an increased chatter in the valve train which made me check the warning lamp to confirm no oil pressure. I quickly turned the engine off and made it in under sail and after replacing the line I did not notice any immediate adverse effect on the old engine. The point is make sure your warning lamps and buzzer are fully operational and with frequent checking of the oil level there should be no cause to be overly concerned about what that part could be or any damage to the engine.