What is this number on the sail?

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
We are about to order new sails for our 310 #73.
The sailmaker will put sail numbers on the main.
#73 is our hull number, but does anyone have an idea what the 56257 number is about?
It's just a curiosity question, we won't have him put anything but the 73 on it.
It is a documented boat, but that other number does not appear on that either.
Any info or even a good story is fine.
IMG_7009.JPG

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Probably a racing sail number. Regional sailing organizations issue numbers like that for unique identifiers of boats in races.

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Catalina built over 300 310s starting in 1999. I would guess that this boats hull number is 257 and the preceeding 56 is part of the boats serial number.

Steve

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
You can always check the HIN to see if any of those numbers show up. However, why put any numbers on your sail? I do agree with above that numbers are related to racing. Just leave the sail blank except for the Catalina Logo.

Sharp looking boat, there.

JMHO

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
Catalina built over 300 310s starting in 1999. I would guess that this boats hull number is 257 and the preceeding 56 is part of the boats serial number.

Steve
No, like I said in the OP, the hull number is 73, which is also on the sail.
I think the racing number idea is most likely. The original owner had it back east, then it was trucked to California when he moved here.
The new sail will only have the 73 on it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You could add "42". The answer to “the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.”
-Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Probably a racing sail number. Regional sailing organizations issue numbers like that for unique identifiers of boats in races.
The original sails purchased with a new boat will usually have the hull ID number on the mainsail. Other sail numbers may be purchased and registered through US Sailing for racing in PHRF races, but there is no “legal” requirement for a sail number otherwise. To acquire a US Sailing sail number in Southern California you must be a member of an SCYA (Southern California Yachting Association) affiliated yacht club. The numbers are identifiers for use in PHRF races of Southern California. Those numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5-digit numbers. The 5-digit numbers that US Sailing issues are sequential (i.e., Standard next-sequential). That is what your #56257 evidently is; it’s further recorded through Southern California PHRF in a Rating Certificate as noted in post #5 above. The Certificate describes the boat as a 2001 Catalina 310, Allez-Y. BTW, that number stays with the boat when it is sold. If you change the boat name it will still retain the sail number if/when a new PHRF rating certificate is acquired, etc. Other numbers of 1-4 digits are registered by availability.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
The original sails purchased with a new boat will usually have the hull ID number on the mainsail. Other sail numbers may be purchased and registered through US Sailing for racing in PHRF races, but there is no “legal” requirement for a sail number otherwise. To acquire a US Sailing sail number in Southern California you must be a member of an SCYA (Southern California Yachting Association) affiliated yacht club. The numbers are identifiers for use in PHRF races of Southern California. Those numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5-digit numbers. The 5-digit numbers that US Sailing issues are sequential (i.e., Standard next-sequential). That is what your #56257 evidently is; it’s further recorded through Southern California PHRF in a Rating Certificate as noted in post #5 above. The Certificate describes the boat as a 2001 Catalina 310, Allez-Y. BTW, that number stays with the boat when it is sold. If you change the boat name it will still retain the sail number if/when a new PHRF rating certificate is acquired, etc. Other numbers of 1-4 digits are registered by availability.
Thanks for looking into it further, that was the name on the boat when we bought it.
With no intention of racing, I didn't look deeper, and I won't put the number on the new sail, but will keep a record of it for whenever we eventually sell it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
When I bought a new main sail, I put the hull number, USA, and the boat logo (O’Day 322) in my case…
40706D93-E086-4B6F-BDE3-E61F10553091.jpeg

026F2E2F-7695-4292-9A63-0F902A92922B.jpeg

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
We are about to order new sails for our 310 #73.
The sailmaker will put sail numbers on the main.
#73 is our hull number, but does anyone have an idea what the 56257 number is about?
It's just a curiosity question, we won't have him put anything but the 73 on it.
It is a documented boat, but that other number does not appear on that either.
Any info or even a good story is fine.
View attachment 204550
that's a standard US Sailing racing number - West coast boats are assigned numbers starting in the 50's, the other regions of the country have different first two digits. You don't have to put them on your sails unless you intend to race in a sanctioned race. In any case, if you did want to race, you'd need to update the registration - new owner, home port, etc.