What is this hole on the side of the engine cover for?

Apr 2, 2022
Hunter 386 Yorktown
This may be a stupid question but what is the hole on the side of the engine cover for?
This on my Hunter 386. There is a 1" hole on the starboard side of the engine cover 3/4 of the way up from the floor. It has a teardrop wooden cover over the hole that you can slide open.
I was assuming it was to check for a fire without opening the whole cover.
Thanks

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
Actually it is a fire extinguisher port.
Related to this, on the pre-sale survey that we had done about a year ago, the surveyor noted in the list of safety deficiencies for which immediate attention is required as follows:

"Affix a label next to the discharge port stating: CAUTION, To avoid misuse and possible personal injury: 1. In case of fire, do not open engine box (compartment) 2. Shut down engines, generators, and blowers 3. Continuously discharge entire contents of portable fire extinguisher through the port immediately."

I assumed that this notice would be fairly standard and searched for a pre-printed warning label but found no such item. Does anyone have such a notice near their fire port?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Related to this, on the pre-sale survey that we had done about a year ago, the surveyor noted in the list of safety deficiencies for which immediate attention is required as follows:

"Affix a label next to the discharge port stating: CAUTION, To avoid misuse and possible personal injury: 1. In case of fire, do not open engine box (compartment) 2. Shut down engines, generators, and blowers 3. Continuously discharge entire contents of portable fire extinguisher through the port immediately."

I assumed that this notice would be fairly standard and searched for a pre-printed warning label but found no such item. Does anyone have such a notice near their fire port?
None on my 2014 Beneteau’s extinguisher port.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Never seen or heard of this. Must be a way to fill reports with standard action points that are in all the reports he writes as no boat is equipped this way.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
no label on the extinguisher port on my '06 Beneteau 343.