What is this for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Hicks

I recently bought a C22 and am refinishing it. As I go into the cabin, there is a long bench on the right. Under the first cushion is what looks like a funnel that leads down into a hold. I have no clue what this is or what it is used for, could some one help me out. ray.hicks@freshpoint.com

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Where does the hold go?

You said it goes down into a "hold". What kind of hold are we talking about here? Is it a plastic holding tank (I'm assuming from the size of the boat!)? I don't know exactly what you're looking at but could it be the intake for the water tank? I know I have to fill my C27 from the inside. Is there a cap on it? I'm intrigued - keep us posted! LaDonna

G

Geoff

what is it for!

I belive what your are talking about is the drain for the sink. When the galley is slid out, the sink sits over the whole or atleast I think that is how it works. My Cat 22 has a fixed galley but my friends seems to work that way.

D

Doug

Galley Drain

Hi Ray - Geoff is right. The funnel you see is the sliding galley drain. On my boat (78 C-22), this drain lead into the main drain line from the cockpit. Look under the companionway step and you will see it. This drain should have it's own cut-off - if you leave it open in rough seas water can come back through it (at least in mine, but i've done some things you probably shouldn't do in a C-22) Also, it would seem to be self explanatory if the galley was aboard. was it included in you purchase of the boat? If not, you may want to follow up with the former owner. . . Good Luck!!

H

Hoppy

Funnel in starboard berth

The funnel you are looking at is for the drain tube on the movable galley sink. The 22 had a galley box that slides aft under the cockpit. The sink has a drain tube that, when you slid the galley out, dropped into the funnel and drained through a Y valve connected to the cockpit drain and out the bottom. Most, like myself, got rid of the galley so the funnel use isn't obvious anymore. Bye the way, make sure this funnel isn't connected to the drains if you're not going to use it. My bottom got fouled one time and the hole in the bottom for the cockpit drains got plugged. The cockpit filled up with water during a torrential rain and backed up through this funnel and into the cabin because the funnel is lower than the cockpit floor. You can see the drain connections by removing the step cover just inside the hatchway.

Status
Not open for further replies.