What is this filler between the fiberglass and the balsa?"

Jul 10, 2013
S2 8.5 28 Virginia Inland Sailing Association
Can anyone tell me what this material is? It's black and feels like charcoal. I'm hoping that it's epoxy with phenolic added. The corner of my deck had completely cracked open and this is what was inside. If it's not epoxy will I have trouble getting epoxy to stick to it?

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Can anyone tell me what this material is? It's black and feels like charcoal. I'm hoping that it's epoxy with phenolic added. The corner of my deck had completely cracked open and this is what was inside. If it's not epoxy will I have trouble getting epoxy to stick to it?
i have not seen anything like that on my s2 9.2 not sure what that is

joul

Jun 30, 2013
S2 11 A miami
Re: What is this filler between the fiberglass and the balsa

Hello,
It's probably polyester filler not epoxy.
Clean all the demage area with a flat screw driver, take off the dust and once well dry you reshape the all thing with new filler.
If you want to put gelcoat over it you ll have to use polyester filler, if you will paint it you can use epoxy filler with minifiber for example.
the epoxy will bound over it, no problem if it is polyester under, just have to be clean and dry.

Jul 10, 2013
S2 8.5 28 Virginia Inland Sailing Association
Well whatever it was, it's gone. As I started sanding around it with a Rollock disc the wood block popped loose making it a lot easier to grind that area. After a few really dusty minutes with a grinder and a flap wheel I got it down to real live fiberglass. I forgot to take pictures this weekend, but I'll try to document this repair in case someone else runs into the same thing.