What is it?

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
As I work on my '76 Cat-22, I sometimes come across things that I can't identify. This device was hanging from a single bracket on the top Pulpit bar right at the nose. I am thinking this is a winch or winding strap for the anchor? It appears to use the same handles as the winch in the cockpit. It is pretty bad shape and I don't trust the strength of the strap. Anyone know where I may source a new one?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t know what it is, but hanging from the end of the pulpit doesn’t seem like a great place to pull with the amount of force that nylon webbing could. The pulpit will bend or the points where it’s bedded to the deck will leak before the nylon fails.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
It's a reel for a stern tie anchor setup... you drop the hook, back up towards shore and run the web line ashore to keep you from swinging. A common practice in the PNW to maximize space for boats in an anchorage. It's a storage device; you would tie the web to a cleat when in use.

Rope is also often used; webbing can develop a very noisy oscillation in a cross wind.

Usually mounted on a stern rail, if it was on the bow pulpit someone was using it in 'scandinavian' mode, where they do the same thing but stern anchor and nose into shore.

btw.. it's worth a few bucks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Wow, looks like it's worth more than the boat. I'll be the p.o. picked it up in a yard sale somewhere.