What is at the top of my mast.

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
I have no idea what this is.
It looks like the cable coming out of the mast might attach to it but I’m not sure as there are no threads on the silver cylinder.

Please forgive any typos, the iOS app has black text on a black background for the message, white on white for the title

I’ve included some pictures. The tri mast list is connected to a separate wire.

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Please forgive any typos, the iOS app has black text on a black background for the message, white on white for the title
I think Joe is right about the device. For the iOS issue- just go straight to the website. It works fine in Safari. Much better than the (unofficial/3rd party) app.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep cable goes to radio, that is a pl 259 connector for base of vhf antenna.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The cable in the mast needs to be replaced. The bare shield wire should not be exposed.

If you decide to add a VHF, these instructions are about the best on how to make a new cable.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The shielding should be tinned copper, so being exposed is not a problem for the radio signal. I'd probably just use some heat shrink tape over the connection, rather than electric tape, and leave it at that unless the cable is bad. For a few bucks, if you have access to the back of the radio, a SWR (standing wave ratio) meter will tell you the condition of the cable to the antenna.

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
I think Joe is right about the device. For the iOS issue- just go straight to the website. It works fine in Safari. Much better than the (unofficial/3rd party) app.
Thanks, I assumed it was official, it's definitely unusable whether unofficial or not.

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
If you decide to add a VHF, these instructions are about the best on how to make a new cable.

Thanks for the link

I'd probably just use some heat shrink tape over the connection, rather than electric tape, and leave it at that unless the cable is bad.
I'm going to assume the cable is bad. I tried to pull the cable out, I didn't get very far which I think is from the separation (the photo shows how far I got), what I was able to feel on the cable covering it felt brittle.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Find the other end and tape new cable to it and use it to pull it through as replacement.