What is a rough '74 Catalina 22 worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Todd Dunn

Today on my way back from the hardware store I happened to see a 1974 Catalina 22 with a for sale sign on it. The boat looked a lot rough, which is the way I like em for buying, so I stopped and took a look. This particular boat had a fixed fin keel, an older 8hp Honda 4 cycle outboard, full instruments and a VHF, one set of new sails and one set of old sails. The exterior of the boat was very dirty and all the on deck wood was completely gray and rough. The winches were very old types (with slots on the top for a slide in winch handle). The mast step was badly bent and almost torn from the cabin top. The boat was on a somewhat rusty, apparently home built, cradle type tandem trailer. The interior was very musty and there was standing water in the cabin. There was a slide out galley to starboard and the cushions looked rough. I would like to get some idea from you Catalina experts out there just what would be a fair price for this boat in its present condition and then after it was fixed up. Todd (looking for a winter project)

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Hi Todd

Hello, my old friend! Rob & I just sold our "Titanic" for approximately $1800 (traded for very nice 15 hp Honda 4 stroke). Now you wanna talk rough? Sheesh! The thing was full of lake mud. Blech! I would think somewhere in the $2500-3000 range. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $3K for it as I just found several in that approximate condition or better for under $3K. Now if you're looking for a fixer upper to resell at a profit, try to get it for under $2K. If you fix her up to "cherry," you can probably get $3,500 in the spring. Or are you going to give up your Mistress. :) Miss ya, perfesser! LaDonna

B

Brian

worth

i got my '75 catatlina 22 with 7.5 1984 honda outboard, three sails, decent trailer, portapotty, galley for $3500. the interior had been totally redone with new cushions and covers. vhf and ds. exterior wood needed sanding and oiling. a few minor dings in the gelcoat. other than minor maintenence i've had no problems. trailer is a little rusty. put new intake housing in motor ($60). good luck...

T

Tom

Cat74

I got my Cat 74 about three weeks ago. It is in good condition, except fot the cusions. I paid $2300.00. It came with a good trailer. Good Luck.

K

ken

74 Catalina

I would think that a boat that rough could bring a maximum of about $1000-1200.................. after a winter of fixin-up..... maybe $3-4,000 tops. However,........ I wouldn't pay a dime for it unless I could put it in the water and check it out....... it is very difficult to assess the hull strength when the boat is on a trailer. Previously someone mentioned $3k..... that seems pretty high to me for a boat in that condition. Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck!

J

john renfro

worth

my 1976 22 cost me $1,000. with 2 sets of sails and a 6 hp johnson. the man i got it from paid $500.00 for it. i have had it 3 months so far so good

J

John Ferguson

what I paid

I bought a 74 Catalina 22 a few months ago, paying $3600. I saw a few cheaper in Central Florida, but they all went very fast. One was sold between the time I talked on the phone and when I showed up at the boat. I also looked at some really run-down ones for ~$1000, but they were too rough for me. Mine came with an older 8hp evinrude, which runs great after replacing the waterpump. It was a gamble for me including an older motor, I would have been upset if it was bad. A similiar new motor costs around $1500. My trailer was also a bit rough. I replaced the wheel hubs, leaf springs, and had some welding touch-up for about $400. Then I repainted it myself, so it looks nice and should last a long time now. The boat itself was dirty and oxidized, but equipped with plenty of extra rigging tackle. Some of it I didn't realize was so expensive until later. I got two jibs, VHF, Knotmeter, bimini, and lots of extra gear as well. After several days of cleaning and refurbishing, I think I got my money's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.