What in tarnation is this? Hunter legend 43

Apr 26, 2022
Beneteau Oceanus 400 Victoria
I'm helping a friend with this boat he just bought and it seems to have a large non-opening hatch forward of the companionway. Except there's no opening below, the companionway slide goes under it, and it has water and what looks like tadpoles and lily pads growing in it. Optional terrarium for '91 or...

Attachments

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
For a while Hunter was including a small built-in solar panel that trickled charged the start battery. It looks like someone removed the solar panel but didn't put anything in its place.

Doug

Apr 26, 2022
Beneteau Oceanus 400 Victoria
Thanks for that. I was wondering if that might be the case. Since it's leaking I was also wondering if it shouldn't be resealed.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I wouldn't reseal a big, useless hole in my boat, I'd close it up with a proper fiberglass job.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
The panel itself is actually mounted in the top of the deck-organizer cover.

Technically there's no access from the panel position to the actual interior of the boat. With mine I am planning to removing the panel then adding either a piece of epoxied wood or starboard cut to the proper dimensions. It will probably need to be sealed to keep water from getting underneath (especially here where it freezes) but a lack of sealing would not allow for any intrusion into the actual cabin.

I sometimes deflate/roll up my dinghy and carry it in that location (and, last season, we bought some fold up bikes which we lashed down there). I was actually thinking of adding some d-rings to the starboard/wood in order to facilitate lashing things down.

Doug

I wouldn't reseal a big, useless hole in my boat, I'd close it up with a proper fiberglass job.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Technically there's no access from the panel position to the actual interior of the boat.
Don't bet on it! Water will find a way.
Although not the same exact set up for a 420 the solar panel compartment can leak into the boat. I had a small leak around the wire leading from the solar panel into the boat and eventually it would work its way to a ceiling light fixture and drip. Took forever to figure out where it was coming from but sealed it and no more drips.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
True true, agreed that any cabin top hole can drip, and leaving things unsealed can certainly increase chances.

I was implying more that it's not an open gap that has potential to swamp the cabin in adverse weather or in the event of a crashing wave or knock down.

But the wiring run and/or deck organizers definitely have leak potential.

Doug

Don't bet on it! Water will find a way.
Although not the same exact set up for a 420 the solar panel compartment can leak into the boat. I had a small leak around the wire leading from the solar panel into the boat and eventually it would work its way to a ceiling light fixture and drip. Took forever to figure out where it was coming from but sealed it and no more drips.