What if there were no Beneteaus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BON Editorial

If your Beneteau didn't exist, what kind of boat would you own? A comparable Catalina or Hunter? A more expensive Sabre or Tartan? Would you go for more keel, ala Island Packet, or less weight in J-Boat? Which boats interest you and why? Present your preference here, then vote in this week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

T

Trevor

Jeanneau?

Ok, so what really is the difference anyway? I'm told (by a broker I might ad) that Beneteau is a marketing company and Jenneau is a boat building company. I guess that's why Beneteau bought Jenneau not long ago, eh? Anyone have any experiences with Jenneaus? I liked the 1987 Sunshine 38 I looked at. Priced comparably to a Beneteau 39 Oceanis of the same era. Where are these brands similar and dissimilar? Thanks for any inishgt, Trevor

P

pwh

that fits

that's what I've always heard, too. fits my experience.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
.... Brings Back Memories

Trevor's post about a Jenneau he looked at brings back memories. Back in '87 I looked at a nearly new Jenneau 'Legend' 41 that a guy bought in France and sailed across the Atlantic, through the cannal, and up the coast to LA. I was visiting LA 'kicking rudders' but with a budget much less than what they were asking, which at that time was 89K. It had been on the market for about half a year and had an original listing price of 129K. Equipment included storm jib through spinnaker, SSB, life raft, binoculars, dishes, silverware, and in short, just everything! Betwee the galley and the main salon was a really stout structural bulkhead with a wide oval opening trimed in teak, and with that fantastic varnish finish. Everything was less than two years old. It still had the 'new boat smell'. On the downside it had the three cabin layout which, at the time, I didn't like but in hindsight could have used as the 'junk room'. The broker said that he was positive 82K would take it in a heartbeat. Shortly after I bought a new boat but since then have sunk much more into it. I still have the original brochure and spec sheet for the Jenneau - the one that got away. It's an absolutely beautiful brochure and even more georgeous boat. If only I could turn the clock back .....

B

BON Editorial

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 10/8/2000: If there were no Beneteaus, what boat would you own? 42% Catalina/Hunter 29% Sabre/Tartan 19% J-Boat 08% Other

T

Trevor

John, what boat did you buy?

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the Jeanneau... I'm curious which boat you ended up buying and why? Trevor

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
What can I say??

Trevor - it's understandable you'd like to know but if I told you I'd be ostracized outa here. Phil Herring - if you read this would you agree? Not to change the subject, but, there are a few other boats I've since considered: Passport 40 (when they were around 115K), Fairweather Mariner 39 (only a few built but has the interior style of the Passport, asking 115K), Hans Christian 43 'Christina' (this is a pilothouse and fin keel skeg rudder model, asking 189K), Norseman 447 (cruise equiped asking 185K), to name a few. I had my boat for sale last spring but the dealer on Lake Union (Seattle) managed to allow it to be damaged in less than a week to we learned a lesson the hard way. It was not the Benneteau dealer. Lessons Learned: Don't sign a "not my fault" liability policy with the dealer - be specific about what is not their fault and what is not yours. Tying up the boat so the dock line doesn't slip should be their responsibility. Don't sign it all away, no matter how nice they are. In another instance on Lake Union we had about $2,500 in electronics stolen off the boat while it was in their custody being serviced at HCH (the Nauticat/Jenneau/and former J-boat dealer). One would have assumed they were reputable also but they said "not my problem".

T

Trevor

John, send me an email

Hi John - It seems we have similar tastes in sailboats, as I came very close to purchasing a Passport 40... but the seller backed out at the last minute. I had never heard of the Fairweather Mariner that you mentioned, but found a couple for sale in SoCal - very interesting. I like Norseman's too but they are out of my price range. Lately, I've been shopping for a used Beneteau, Catalina or Hunter for local cruising in Puget Sound until I find the perfect offshore boat. Drop me an email sometime... Trevor trevor@sailboatowners.com

Status
Not open for further replies.