What glue for the vinyl headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Walters

I think this was discussed before but I'm archive search illiterate. I need to get to some wiring that is behind the padded vinyl liner and thus need to reqlue it once I'm done. What is the best glue to use? I'll need something that get's tacky quite fast because there are not a bunch of options for holding the vinyl in place untill the glue sets. Any suggestions?

T

Tim

3M

3M Super Trim Glue. Sprays on from a can and works great. Spray both the headliner and the bulkhead/inner deck and its get tacky quickly. When you press them together it bonds almost instantly. Good luck! Tim

K

Kelly Holsten

Some more info/options/thoughts on www.beneteau235.com

I have an entire page devoted to the options here. Basically, the spray on doesnt last from all the impressions I get. I am getting ready to tackle this as well but the 3M stuff is doubtful. kh http://home.earthlink.net/~beneteau235/headliner.htm

I

Ivan Edwards

Hull Liner job estimate

I got an estimate from an upholstry shop who does work on boats. They said that the "release temperature" of the aerosol glues (3M trim, 777) is about 150 degrees, and this causes the liner to fall. They have a compressed air spray glue system that will put up the headliner, and withstand higher temperatures. They also wanted to use the Hull Liner stuff that is kind of like carpeting, but without the backing. They said it stretches to fit. They wanted $2000 for the job on my First 285. I believe they know their work, and were recommended. So I think this may be a good solution. What I would really like to do is install both insulation and a liner, to keep the boat cooler, but I have found no advise on how to do insulation.

D

David Walters

Check the trailersailor.com archives

Ivan, I think there was someone who used the 1/4 inch pink insul. board for insulating on http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi. Go to the search option and only search the trailersailor forum archives for headliner. Lots of good ideas there.

K

Kelly Holsten

Some say Weldwood Gel Contact Cement

I am getting ready to attempt Weldwood Gel Contact Cement as this is recommended by some who have used it. I use it on my Hobie 16 to attach carpet to the black, metal frame and this gets hot as Satan's imagination in the dead of summer. IT really holds up here with the only problem coming from two things: 1. You have to apply enough to cover BOTH SIDES...meaning it needs to go on the vinyl AND the boat. Then you must wait 15 min or so for it to cure before sticking together. 2. Once you make contact, it is ON! No moving about. No adjusting. BOOM. Ready, set, go, disaster if you arent careful. This is the kind of thing that would drive you and your significant other to DIVORCE! The heat release thing is a sobering thought. That 3M stuff is pretty mediocre in my view. Everyone I mention it to says give it a miss. You are in for disappointment. Below is another article that is relavant; take a look (edit: I included it in the ADD LINK part of post and it didnt show. Below is the pasted link in full...a BEAR!). http://www.beneteau-owners.com/library.nsf/4383360c00723e18852566fc0030ff41/93d265e68a45acae852568dc0065f72c!OpenDocument kh www.beneteau235.com

N

Neil

Agreed

Well, the 3M spray-on contact adhesive did work ... initially. However, it failed after a couple of weeks in the hot sun. Now, of course, I have to remove the old glue AND the 3M stuff too!

Status
Not open for further replies.