what do carry for a row boat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Lantinga

I am thinking of buying a MAC 26X Was wondering what do sailors who trailor thier boats have for getting to shore in? Whats max size? and where do you tie it down when sailing? Or do you tow it all the time?

Feb 29, 2004
Com-Pac 23 Port Orange, FL
Folks with sailboats use a mac 26X to get to shore

Ouch! That sounded cruel...sorry but I couldnt help it ;) Actually, I like the Mac 26, especially the "M" with the 50 HP and daggerboard. Both the "X" and the "M" are compromises between powerboating and sailing and in my opinion, they offer the best of both! One of the best things I like about the Macs is they draw less than a foot of water. You could just crank up the center board and rudders and beach the darn thing when you want to go to shore. I know here on the FL east coast where the ICW everages about 2 ot 3 feet outside of the channel, that would be pretty useful. But if your beaches were rocky, that would be a different story. Good luck whatever you decide.

Oct 7, 2004
Hunter 260 Abundance - H260, Las Vegas, NV
Going Ashore

Bob, I have a 1988 Mac 26D for sale - she's a beauty. Sails fast and lots of nice improvements. I use an inflatable raft by Sevelor that stores nicely in the lazarette to go ashore. You could also tow a dinghy behind your boat. Inflatable is the way to go because it can fit in the tow vehicle or be stored in the boat somewhere. I've bought a Hunter 260 now. David Hoch dfhoch@yahoo.com

D

David Perkins

Bob ........ I keep my canoe on my Mac... use it for a dink ... and to fish out of when im anchored in a quiet cove. its a coleman 13 footer and ties nicely to the santions out of the way.

T

Tom s/v GAIA

Greg, you can go to your room,

and no dinner or tv tonight! ;D Tom s/v GAIA

Jun 4, 2004
Macgregor 26X 97444, 94561
Canoe?

Dave Perkins, do you have any pictures of your canoe position? Doesn't it get in the way of the Jib? I have a small one place kayak that I would like to put on someplace. I tow it behind my Mac 26X with the skirt in place, but it darts back and forth sometimes.

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Inflatable...

These work very well and are easy to store when trailering or sailing. Can be towed inflated, too. They come in all shapes, sizes and price ranges: Plastic pool toys to Hypalon; and come in Kayaks (sp?) as well as more traditional shapes. I have used a cheaper plastic one, then went to a BoatUS Hypalon for a more secure platform . The next year I bought a motor as these things are hard to row in blow or current. Other portable options to think about are a rigid kayak and fold-a-boat(http://foldaboat.com/). Fair winds... Tom

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Mac

Hate to disagree with Greg, but the Mac's ability to be a power boat and sail boat make it a poor choice for either...it's all a matter of physics. The things that make it a good power boat hurt it's sailing ability; the things that make it a good sail boat hurt it's ability as a power boat. As a result, it does neither very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.