What could I possibly have done?

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
After a few hours of sailing the other day, my wife was ready to go in but it was too good of a day so I decided to drop her at the fuel dock and continue enjoying the fantastic winds. Coming in to the protected harbor (with the wind at my stern) I attempted a 90 degree turn to the dock. After I came about, I realized the protected harbor wasn't protected from the current wind direction. Since my bow was being blown over excessively, I turned into the wind to do a 360 and try another approach. After turning broadside to the wind, doing a 180, and turning broadside to the wind again, I was now way over even further than before. Without enough speed for the limited maneuvering room to do another turn, my only recourse was to throw her into reverse. I instantly had positive control of the boat again so I sped up a little to get out of there. Shortly after speeding up I noticed the bow unexplainably rising up a few feet. I managed to get to the fuel dock, drop off my wife then went out to enjoy a fine afternoon of rub rail soaking sailing. Upon returning back to my slip, when I went to raise the centerboard, I just found a limp cable. My experience with stainless steel cable leads me to believe that what is installed on this boat would be too strong to break with just a little bump that I experienced while maneuvering in close quarters earlier. Could I have possibly have pulled a section off the centerboard where the cable attaches too?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
You can have the board come unloaded under wave and heel conditions, and the cable can get hung up and break. We broke 4 over 15 years, and never did I hear any noise.
One of the simplest ways to prevent slack is a bungee on the cable to haul it up if the board comes up, if you attach it just right of the top hinge, it'll save the cable most times.
Don't kid yourself, it can and will snap really fast.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Seriously, your bow unexplainably rose up "a few feet"? That would indicate a pretty significant mishap. It's not clear whether you were still in reverse when it happened.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Did the centerboard ground in reverse? You can ground the CB all day going forward and it just folds back but in reverse with the CB uphaul cleated.. not hard to imagine the bow raising up just before the cable snapped.