What color for your Bimini?

May 16, 2021
Hunter 34 Melbourne, FL
We have dark blue canvas that has been on the boat a couple past its prime, but the color still looks good. We are looking at new canvas all around and am thinking of going to "tan" color since we recently painted the freeboard dark blue. BUT we have heard from a couple boaters that the "tan" will fade real fast, even if we went with Sunbrella. What has been your experience with light color canvas? How bad is the staining? the bird crap? mold? dirt in general? Just looking for some opinions before we decide

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Mine is dark blue also. I use 303 fabric guard regularly to protect it.
I'm not a fan of tan. I like the high contrast of the blue against the white gelcoat. I imagine crud shows up more on light fabric. But if you treat, it should be easy to clean

303.jpg

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

I have had tan and blue canvas (actually sunbrella) for dodger, bimini, and sail cover. I can't say I have noticed much difference in how the material wears. I would use whatever color you like best.

Personally, my O'day had a white gelcoat hull with red boot and cove stripes and came with tan canvas. I thought it looked nice and when I had to replace the sail cover I stayed with tan. The dodger and bimini were tan and in OK condition and having the sail cover in a different color would not have looked nice. My C&C had a beautiful dark blue awlgrip hull and came with dark blue sail cover. I added a dodger in the same color. My Jeanneau also has a blue hull, dodger, bimini and sail cover. The wheel covers are tan, which looks a little strange but the wheel covers are only on when I'm not on the boat, so that doesn't bother me.

Barry

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I read or heard that if you go with sky blue the spiders won't nest, don't know that is true as we have dark blue with a midnight blue hull

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.................have heard from a couple boaters that the "tan" will fade real fast, even if we went with Sunbrella. What has been your experience with light color canvas? How bad is the staining? the bird crap? mold? dirt in general?...........
Tan looks great.....have not seen any issues you described or fading as long as it is Sunbrella. Have Sunbrella navy blue and charcoal tweed, which do not have any issues you described and resists fading.

To clean bird crap...............use LA's Totally Awesome, which costs $1 from the Dollar Store.

Last edited:

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
We have tan that the previous owner added in 2017. We haven't had it long enough to know if there is fading but there is nothing obviously wrong with the color and it's all consistent. We like it and see a lot of boats with that color. Bird poop certainly shows up :(

In our area, it almost seems like you can tell the age by the color. Oldest was green, then dark blue, then tan, and now we see new boats with lightish grays.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
In my corner of Calif. lots of boaters prefer "Pacific Blue". It's a few shade lighter than Navy and Dark blue. My new dodger and mainsail cover are that color. Looks really great. If you find any relation between bird poop and color............ Pulllleeeezzzz.... let us know. These past 6 mos. I've noticed that I have less bird droppings on the canvas because the boat has been docked stern in, which makes it downwind oriented. Therefore, the poop from the spreader sitters blows toward the foredeck, rather than back to the dodger, making it much easier to remove.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Which tan are you considering, wheat or toast? Im considering redoing my 1980 aquamarine with tan as well. Would love to see pics if you do go with tan.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I read or heard that if you go with sky blue the spiders won't nest, don't know that is true as we have dark blue with a midnight blue hull
I wonder if they make a "Spectricide" blue, cause that's the only way we can slow them down on our boat.

Ours is all captain navy sunbrella (new last year). The advantage of tan is that it could be cooler, but we've never had any issues with blue.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Tan canvas with a dark blue hull is a good, classic look. As long as it’s Sunbrella, I doubt you’ll have issues with fading.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I personally can't stand the Pacific blue, navy is tolerable. I like your tan idea and haven't noticed much difference in its life expectancy in my region anyhow. I am currently sewing all mine in black. Not ideal for all climates, but man does it look classy.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
Sunbrella Toast is probably the most commonly used color in the “tan” color range, my experience is that it fades to either an ugly green hue or pink hue, sometimes you see both faded colors on the same boat.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I was dreading buying a jib sack and not being able to duplicate either the mainsail cover or the Bimini. The mainsail is the original Hunter Navy Blue which is almost black and the Bimini is an Ameriseam which is Navy blue but not as dark as the mainsail cover. I ordered a jib sack in Captain Navy, primarily because it was the only dark blue color available. The supply chain is broken. Then the companion way cover I had ordered over a month age arrived. It is Captain Navy also, made by Ameriseam. It is very close to the color of the Bimini and does not clash with the darker mainsail cover. I was afraid that by boat would look like a multi color quilt but that has not been the case.

May 16, 2021
Hunter 34 Melbourne, FL
Thank you all for your inputs and directions. I think we will head in the "tan" direction as the canvas guy, here is Central Florida only uses Sunbrella and he has a good reputation. he is out till March right now for his first opening, so it might be awhile.

May 16, 2021
Hunter 34 Melbourne, FL
Which tan are you considering, wheat or toast? Im considering redoing my 1980 aquamarine with tan as well. Would love to see pics if you do go with tan.
I will post them but it will be awhile as he does not have an opening till March.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think Blue is more of a standard and it is easier to find sail covers, winch covers, helm covers, ditty bags and other canvas accessories that match.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think Blue is more of a standard and it is easier to find sail covers, winch covers, helm covers, ditty bags and other canvas accessories that match.
That's a good point. Bella is all trimmed out in dark blue. Accessories were easy to find in that color. I even had matching blue fender covers, but they both 'disappeared' while she was unattended.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Impetuous is dark green from bow to stern. The genoa sunshield is "original", the mainsail cover and the bimini were new in '12. The Admiral took the old green bimini and created covers for the handrails, the winches, the compass, the propane tank and the LifeSling bag which was dying slowly and falling apart. And even in northwest Florida, it is surprisingly cool under the bimini in mid summer.

solar panels-just side and back.jpg