What batteries should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Cohn

Just got a new handheld GPS to supplement the one thats wired to ship's power. It uses 4 AA batteries. What kind of batteries should I be using in this thing, and where do I get them? The Duracell alkalines don't last all that long, even though the unit (Garmin) specifies 22 hours of use without the light. Eight hours is more like what I'm getting now. Fun thing to do is take yours on your next airline trip. It registered 480 knots for a Southwest flight from Burbank to San Jose....pretty impressive. Thanks! MC

E

Ed Schenck

Rechargeables?

I'll be anxious to see what pops up here Mike. My personal option was to buy rechargeables with the charger at Radio Shack. I bought several AA's and use them in the GPS and the VHF. After one season no complaints. But I also keep some Duracells on board as backups. There are better, albeit more expensive, rechargeable options also.

B

Bob Cree

Which Model Garmin?

I am not sure my Garmin 45XL would operate in a plane. Which model do you have? Bob

P

Paul Akers

Definitely Alkaline

I've been having good luck with Energizer in my Magellan. I buy them by the sleeve at the warehouse store (Sam's) and get a fairly good deal. Mine don't last as long as the manual says, either, so I just get what I can out of them.

T

Tom Lukas

GPS batteries

I have a garmin 48xl with a cig. plug that has a quick mount on the edison pedistal, hardly ever use the batteries. By the way, the garmin 48xl works in planes, most of the time up against the window, used it from a flight last Nov. from Maine to St. Thomas, even had some nav. points in BVI.

B

Bob Bass

Altitude?

What kind of altitude reading did that Garmin give you when on the flight? By the way, I use my 48 at the helm with the power cord and also installed a power cord at the nav station long enough to sit at the salon table and plug in my waypoints on boat power.

A

Allan Hadad

Ultra Batteries

I get about 30 hours with the new Duracell Ultra Alkaline batteries. If you can get them in bulk from Costco they're not to hard on the pocket book. I took my Garmin 12CX with me from San Jose to Dallas last month. It worked great next to the window. Saw 450 mph and 29000 feet in an MD-80. Boy was I lucky that it stayed up there.

T

Tom Lukas

Altitude

As I recall, the altitude varied from about 34 to 38 thousand feet, speed was usually in the 400+ knot range. You kinda have to play with orientation of the antenna. My older 48 that tracks 8 sat. didn't work in the plane but I only tried it once.

M

Mickey Goodman

GPS the Battery Hog

I have a Garmin 45XL and it loves to eat batteries. I guess Garmin must own stock in the battery companies. I did buy a cigarette plug adapter which I used on my Catalina 25. Since I have moved up to a Hunter 37, the big time, I purchased from West Marine a male and female plug for the power plug on the pedestal. I installed the male plug on the cable attached to the GPS and the female on the "plug" side of the cable. That way you can use your GPS from either a cigarette plug or from the pedestal.

J

Jay Hill

Housepower

Like others, I have installed a DC power cable to house power. When on the boat, the GPS stays in it's holder until I secure the vessel. I then unplug it and stow it below. Haven't put a battery in it in a long time, but I never use the GPS off the boat. (Street maps rarely have lat/long and my speedometer is accurate enough for me to keep from getting a ticket.) But I know, toys are fun to use all the time. I recommend rechargeable batteries so you can use the same batteries in more than one "toy". I keep 6 under charge at the house all the time then have about 40 scattered throughout various flashlights, radios, hand-held VHFs, and even PFD personal lights. Did that over a year ago and have not bought a battery since. Doing a little research, I found that many Garmin and Megellan models can use an optional rechargeable battery pack; buy two, one for use, other in charge. Question is will they recharge from 12vdc housepower? Not sure, good luck

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Battery Effects?

..you know, I hard wired a Magellan into my V32. But in three years, it quit holding memory, but booted up OK and held position fine. Magellan and an electronics firm both said 'toss it'; the internal battery was toast and not worth replacing. I now wonder if not having current available to the internal battery accelerated its demise. (The hard-wire substituted the battery box for a power, data and antenna terminal) It seems to work ok if I leave the AA's in while in handheld configuration. And, I now am having problems with my SiTex chartplotter on my 40.5 rebooting itself after about 5 minutes, with the same prognosis. Sure enough, if I leave the breaker on for a week, it doesn't happen. A friend said 'voltage drop'. Sounded right, but don't think so now. So, amp-heads, what do you think? Rick D.

J

John Goacher

May still be life...

I've been using Alkalines in my Magellan for a few years now, and as Mike reports, they last about 8 hours. But I have found that there is still enough juice in them after the GPS is done with them, to play an hour's CD on the portable, and then move into a cassette recorder for a while. The threshold on the GPS is less tolerant than on some other devices. This year, I'll connect into the boat battery. John s/v Windbreaker Hunter 25, Saginaw Bay

M

Michael Cohn

GPS Model

Mine is a Garmin GPS 12, which I got at West Marine at a decent price. I already have a fairly pricy Garmin wired to ship's power at the nav station. This is essentially a back-up unit and also for use in my dinghy. I am wondering about perhaps using Lithium batteries? I have my unit mounted on the pedestal guard so I can see it while steering - I can also detach it quickly for stowage or other uses. I am very reluctant to drill a hole in the pedestal and try to run wiring to it. For reference, I got an altitude of about 30,000 feet on that Southwest trip I mentioned earlier... Thanks! MC

Status
Not open for further replies.