Westerbeke 18 Rebuild?

Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
I’m buying a 1987 sailboat with a Westerbeke 18 that the current owner has no knowledge of engine hours or if it had been rebuilt. It performed well (and passed visual inspection) during survey but realistically I’m thinking it will have to be rebuilt at some point during my ownership if I decide to buy. I’m wondering about very rough ballpark pricing of a rebuild. Comments appreciated.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum..
I wouldn't worry too much about a rebuild if the engine has been maintained with fresh oil and filter and valve clearance checked/set. Since you don't know full history on the engine, it would be good to set the valves and change the raw water impeller and do a general check on hoses and wiring, paying paticular attention to connection cleanliness.. Change the fuel filters to get a feel for tank cleanliness, and learn to bleed the air out of the system..

The base engine could be from a couple of different manufacturers like Mitsubishi or Kubota or ? When rebuilding, parts sourced from the engine manufacturer (not Westerbeke, who marinized it) can reduce costs significantly .. Dependiing on how much sweat equity you may want to contribute, a rebuild might cost upwards of $3000-$4000

Again, Welcome and enjoy the boat!

Last edited:
  • Helpful

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Case in point: My 1980 Westerbeke 50 is based on an MGB diesel engine. I bought a new fresh water pump for the motor. Westerbeke wanted $400+ and Autozone got me a water pump for $85. How many times can I replace the MGB pump before I get the to Westerbeke price break? My answer is I'll probably age out of the 37 footer before I hit that point.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If it starts well, runs at high throttle settings without much smoke, and can get close to its maximum listed RPMs I wouldn’t worry about needing a rebuild anytime soon. These small diesel engines could go several thousand hours without significant work, and many boats sit without getting more than 100 hours a year.

Go through the preventative maintenance steps kloudie mentioned and keep up with the maintenance after that, but I wouldn’t live in fear of it needing a rebuild.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: I concur with what has been said about your engine.

These small diesels are remarkable. They are like the old Timex watch... Take a licking and keep on ticking.

Follow the above guidance. @kloudie1 knows small diesel engines. I bought a boat with a 45 year old diesel engine that had been abused. It ran for 5 plus years before sea water seeped into the exhaust manifold from a hidden internal leak in the muffler.

As @Davidasailor26 suggests, give it a good High RPM run after it has warmed.

You may find it will be many years before you have to do any serious engine work.

Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
:plus: I concur with what has been said about your engine.

These small diesels are remarkable. They are like the old Timex watch... Take a licking and keep on ticking.

Follow the above guidance. @kloudie1 knows small diesel engines. I bought a boat with a 45 year old diesel engine that had been abused. It ran for 5 plus years before sea water seeped into the exhaust manifold from a hidden internal leak in the muffler.

As @Davidasailor26 suggests, give it a good High RPM run after it has warmed.

You may find it will be many years before you have to do any serious engine work.
Thank you. That sounds like sane advice.

Sep 18, 2024
Nonsuch Ultra 26 Norfolk
Welcome to the forum..
I wouldn't worry too much about a rebuild if the engine has been maintained with fresh oil and filter and valve clearance checked/set. Since you don't know full history on the engine, it would be good to set the valves and change the raw water impeller and do a general check on hoses and wiring, paying paticular attention to connection cleanliness.. Change the fuel filters to get a feel for tank cleanliness, and learn to bleed the air out of the system..

The base engine could be from a couple of different manufacturers like Mitsubishi or Kubota or ? When rebuilding, parts sourced from the engine manufacturer (not Westerbeke, who marinized it) can reduce costs significantly .. Dependiing on how much sweat equity you may want to contribute, a rebuild might cost upwards of $3000-$4000

Again, Welcome and enjoy the boat!
Thank you! That sounds like excellent advice that I will follow.