Westerbeke 10-2 Spring Start-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bria46

Jan 15, 2011
Oday 272 Waukegan, IL, Sarasota, FL
I just finished draining and installing a new filter in my groco fuel water/fuel separater. I also completely drained my 10 gallon aluminum diesel Fuel tank dumping the one year old fuel into my diesel auto. I'm now in the process of re-filling the boats fuel tank.

Question 1: Will the Westerbeke 10-2 draw enough fuel thru the system and up to the injectors for starting?

Question 2: Should I refill the groco fuel separater with diesel fuel before I turn the engine over?

Question 3: Is the Westerbeke 10-2 self purging?

Question 4: Am I going to have to open the two injectors and manually purge the engine?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I just finished draining and installing a new filter in my groco fuel water/fuel separater. I also completely drained my 10 gallon aluminum diesel Fuel tank dumping the one year old fuel into my diesel auto. I'm now in the process of re-filling the boats fuel tank.

Question 1: Will the Westerbeke 10-2 draw enough fuel thru the system and up to the injectors for starting?

It wiill start if you havent traped any air in the fuel system.

Question 2: Should I refill the groco fuel separater with diesel fuel before I turn the engine over?

This is a very good idea it will help you not trap air in the fuel system but it does not insure that you will not have to bleed the fuel lines completly.

Question 3: Is the Westerbeke 10-2 self purging?

Question 4: Am I going to have to open the two injectors and manually purge the engine?
You prolly will have to manually bleed the fuel lines .....theses systems are very fussey about haveing air in them and there is a good possability you got air in the lines ....if you have an electric fuel feed pump from your tank to the engine it will be a lot easyer to bleed the system ...bleeding the system is not very hard you just have to be methodic in doing so ...just start from the fuel pump and work your way forward bleading each connection as you go forward...hope this helps and does not confuse you

regards

woody

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Brian, with my first start of my new engine my manufact told me to get some new clean fuel and fill up my raycor filter. Then he said follow the bleed procedures. Make sure the fuel tank valve is open. Give it time between cranks, mine started on second try. Once it starts it will suck fuel thru the lines and air will be gone. If you are in the water for this if it won,t start on the first 2 or 3 trys, close the water valve till it starts, you don,t want to flood the engine. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.