West Marine dingies

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ED

Is anyone familiar with the West Marine SB-285 Sportboat? According to the catalog you need a large flat area to assemble/inflate it. Can this be done on the foredeck of a Hunter 34? Will it fit in any of the cockpit lockers on the 34? If not, where do you stowe yours? Same questions for the RU-260. Have a chance to get a 285 for a very good price which is the reason for my questions.

B

Barry

Inflatabes on the H34

I have a roll up inflatable on my h34 similiar to the size of the RU-260. I keep it in the aft cabin since it will not fit in the cockpit locker. I am able to inflate it on the fore deck. I recommend you avoid a dingy with a heavy wood floor. Many of the roll up models weigh 45-60 lbs so they are easy to manage. I wouldn't want to have to assemble a boat with hard floor panels up there. Roll up boats with inflatable floors or a semi rigid roll up floor is best for that size sailboat. (but they have smaller limits on motor size) Barry s/v "PER DIEM too"

G

Gary A

Also Considering a WM Dinghy Purchase

We're thinking about purchasing the WM RU-260 as well. I'm curious about the roll-up floors. Are roll-up boats really stiff enough to handle well, or do they waffle through the water? I've also been watching the PVC vs. hypalon discussions for some time now, but I'm not sure I can justify twice the money for hypalon. I have two hypalon dinghies, both Avon and something else has always gone wrong before the fabric had time to wear out, so why pay for fabric that will last longer then the other components? One of the local boat dealers in Oriental tells me that the PVC they are using these days is much better than the old version. As always, opionions on this site are truly valued. Thanks, Gary

B

Bryan C.

RU-260

There is a lot abou these dinks in the archives. I have owned a RU-260 for 3 years. For me it is perfect. 40 lb, easy to set up and stow, with 3.5 hp motors moves along 3-4 knots just fine for getting around the harbor. With one person it will get on a plane. It is stable enough, holds 880 pounds. Rolled up it takes about 4x2x1 in space, fits in my lazerette and dock box fine. Tows like its not there. It is not a performance dingy. The roll up floor does inhibit performance. With its small size and lack of hard floor, it is not made for large waves, though it will go over a wake without a problem. It is made of PVC so you cannot leave it out uncovered in the sunlight. I use my dinghy maybe 8 times a years and don't have a place to store and inflated one, so the ease of handling and protability are strong points to me (as well as the costs). But everything is a compromise ...

S

Scott

H34 Dinghy Storage

We cruise with a West Marine Rollup dinghy and have been very pleased with it. We keep it inflated on the foredeck during offshore pasages, and then tow it while cruising. When not in use we store it in the bag in one of 3 spots. The V birth and Aft berth are obvious places, but getting it thru the doorways can be a hassle. One of the best spots is under the table. Just lift the table, remove the post, slide the dinghy in, and replace the post. This way you can still use all the sleeping space, including dropping the table for the extra double. We keep the 5hp on a bracket on the aft rail. Scott 83-H34-188 Island Hops

G

Gary A

PVC Dinghy and Canvas Cover?

As I mentioned, I'm thinking about purchasing one of these dinghies to hang from the davits on my H34. I am a little concerned about leaving it in sunlight for extended periods. So, I'm curious about a canvas covers. Seems like buying a $900 PVC dinghy and a $100 canvas cover is a good compromise instead of a $2,000 hypalon dinghy. Thoughts? How is the hassle factor with a canvas cover and davit hanging hardware? Gary

B

Bryan C.

Gary, I'd go hypalon

Personally I wouldn't buy a PVC dinghy if I left it inflated all the time. Even the manufacturers of PVC dinks so don't do this. If you are leaving the boat inflataded most of the time, the portability factor isn't quite so important (PVC is a lilttle lighter). Yeah, I suppose you could cover it up, but what a hassle. Why not get something made out of hypalon and not worry about it?

S

Scott

If inflated on davits, forget the rollup

We noticed on our Bahamas trip that the RIB's handled a lot better than our rollup. Faster

T

Tim Schaaf

Davit perils!

I guess I would be nervous about having a RIB on davits, if it were too big to be rolled up and stored, which is usually the case on the smaller to mid-sized boats. Lots of people, including some here on HOW, have had harrowing tales of unexpected conditions. Usually, the woes are caused by dinghies that are towed, but davits can be pretty vulnerable, under certain conditions, as well. Thumbs up on Hypalon!

B

BP

Davits while sailing?

For those that have davits........ How does the weight on the stern factor in handling your H34? More/less weather helm? I thought about going with davits, but we hoist via the secondary jib halyard and store our dingy on the bow while on long cruises. The motor (8HP) I raise by the main, and strap to the midship stainless hand rail. Appreciate any input.......

G

Gary A

Took The Plunge - Boat US SW9.2

After putting up with my ancient leaky Avons (Typhoon and Redcrest) for too many years, I finally took the plunge yesteday and bought a NEW dinghy. I looked at the West Marine SB-285 (PVC boat) and the Boat US SW 9.2 (hypalon boat). When comparing the West Marine SB-285 at $1,199 and the Boat US SW 9.2 on sale at $999 (normally $1,239), I decided on the Boat US hypalon version. Overall size and carrying capacity seem the same, but the Boat US version is heavier by 35 pounds. Since everything else seems to match (size, transom, plywood floorboards) I can only guess that part of the weight difference is between PVC and hypalon. Since I plan to keep it on davits most of the time, the extra weight seemed like a good trade-off for the sunlight resisting nature of hypalon. I assembled it last night in the living room and it looks great. We'll try it in the water this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.