West Marine and Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Prices charged by West Marine are always a subject of interest here. I recently completed a West Marine survey that requested my comments about their pricing policy. I indicated that I thought their prices were higher than some competitors, but that I was happy that they (continue to) price match. I received at reply, part of which is pasted below fyi:

"We understand your concerns regarding pricing. West Marine stores will price match to any website and local competitor’s retail price on any identical item we carry. We hope that these price-matching services provide you with the best price you can find on our products while receiving the excellent West Marine service you deserve."

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
I've found that they are no different than any other chain store: sometimes their prices are ridiculously high, and sometimes they are competative with internet vendors. You have to do your research to get a good value. Sometimes, I am just in a hurry and I need that doohickey to go sailing today. I then pay the price for the convenience of having a fully-stocked West Marine close by; and I think that's fair.

larryw

Jun 9, 2004
Beneteau OC400 Long Beach, CA
If you remember the days of three separate stores for a bit of line, a dozen SS machine screws, and a fuel filter, you'll appreciate WM more. My main complaint is their lack of inventory; if I need six of something, they'll have five. Need a freshwater pump? The model you need is sold out. That's kind of irritating, but what're ya gonna do? Not go sailing? Didn't think so.

hman

Sep 13, 2006
Oday 23 Grass Valley, CA
Must be nice to have a fully stocked marine store close by....My closest WestMarine is 25 miles away and it only has one small wall of sail items, which are mostly sold out when I get there. All the other marine stores in the area cater to power boats only.
I've found it's easier to wait and go to WestMarine when I'm down in the bay area or Santa Cruz. I guess the upside is, I have to plan ahead. It's the price I pay for living in a mountain paradise!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
What is a fully stocked WM store? Personally I have NEVER seen one. Most of them keep their stores stocked at "minimum" stock levels based on average sales during specific periods. If an item does not turned in a specifed period of time, it does not get restocked.

hman

Sep 13, 2006
Oday 23 Grass Valley, CA
Rancho Cordova?

What is a fully stocked WM store? Personally I have NEVER seen one. Most of them keep their stores stocked at "minimum" stock levels based on average sales during specific periods. If an item does not turned in a specifed period of time, it does not get restocked.
Would that be the closest WM to you? I would think it would be closer than Rocklin where I go even though it's further east....

Dec 2, 1999
I do not know about a Rancho Cordova store. The stores that I frequent are Sacramento (Micron off of Bradshaw), Stockton off of I-5 or Pittsburg/Antioch off of Hwy 4.

The best WM stores are probalby in the bay area, but they are too far out of the way unless I happen to be headed over there so I can sail and freeze.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Ya gotta wait for the sales, or research the internet to get the price match if you want to buy anything big... but the small stuff you need right away is the big irritation. I will say that their SS fasteners are far superior quality and fairly priced when compared to the big box hardware stores. I'm lucky that there are 3 close to the boat, including the mega store in Pt Loma that has everything in the catalogue. There is also a nearby WM Express and a converted Boat US that has remained but caters mostly to the power boaters and fishermen.

The big one in Pt Loma... the staff is very knowledgable.... also the express. We have a store in my home town, Riverside, also.. but the staff is abominable and they close too early... They cater to the river rat folks and the local fishing yocals. Last time I went in there they had like two gallons of bottom paint on the shelf. But........ they do have SS fasteners.

May 6, 2004
Hunter 37C Seattle
I am spoiled. I can take my dog for a 20 minute walk to Fisheries Supply and they let the dog in the store, cheaper than WM and more stock. I can call ahead with a inventory number and have it held at will call. Seattle Marine & Fishery Supply has even better prices but not open on weekends. and if Fisheries Supply doesn't have a certain screw, etc, then send me to Stoneway Hardware, another 10 minute walk, ( Stoneway has more SS screws etc, than the marine stores) and they let the dog in there to.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
in many areas where there are no worst marine stores ace is the place....they are wonderful--even where there is a worst marine--as ace in always less than worst and is also more helpful to you as their client. yes,they get marine goods. yes they sell them cheaper. you will be surprised at what ace carries!!!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Think about how many stores have come along with lower prices and are gone. In order to stay in business they must make a profit. If their price is too high, shop elsewhere. McMaster-Carr carries most of the hardware that West has but you must be patient.

hman

Sep 13, 2006
Oday 23 Grass Valley, CA
I do not know about a Rancho Cordova store. The stores that I frequent are Sacramento (Micron off of Bradshaw), Stockton off of I-5 or Pittsburg/Antioch off of Hwy 4.

The best WM stores are probalby in the bay area, but they are too far out of the way unless I happen to be headed over there so I can sail and freeze.
Um, the one on Micron is RC to me!

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
It is easy to gripe about the big guy on the block. West stays in business because they supply us with a service we can't get elsewhere. Sometimes their prices are higher for what you need right now, but at least they are there. That is worth something.

If you have time to shop around, they will match. If you are dissatisfied their return policy is very liberal.

If they are so bad, why are they still in business?

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I was appauled the first time I went to a west marine. I just laughed at the prices. I buy almost everything on the internet so I am used to supercheap. I still window shopped them when my wife was in Target. I ended up buying a Magma grill they had on sale. They brought it in from another store. When I got there it was the wrong model. They threw in a rail clamp to make me happy. It worked.
I have never used a price match in my life. If the place I am looking at is the cheapest, I just buy it from them.
When I get rich I am going to buy from small sellers that charge twice as much.:)

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
I'll say at the onset, I like West Marine. They have most of the time matched lower prices elsewhere. But there is something else we need to consider here. The buying power of West Marine is huge. Because of them I am sure I see more models of Garmin, ICON radios, Harken gear, and different types of rope, lines, and double braid. I suspect that West Marine drives some R & D in some companies when they know there is a major buyer on the market. Sell to West Marine and all the smaller companies will step up to the plate. Just a thought.

Jan 22, 2009
Hunter 31 '83_'87 Blue Water Marina
where i live, i know and have shopped at at least 4 different WM.
i have also used Bacon's and Fawcett's and p-Yacht on-line (Fawcett's on-line). on my way to my boat and my usual WM, i pass an Ace Home and Leisure store. Boater's World also had more than one store. i shop on-line almost as much as in the stores.
oh yeah, i worked retail for about twenty years.
having said all that,
i'm consistently puzzled why people take it personal what WM charges? Defender will ship to you, i'm sure. Jamestown, too.
would seem to me that it is certainly a "free market enterprise" and if goods and services could be delivered better and cheaper, it's available to enterprising souls to do. (hint, hint). maybe the stars are just awaiting your plunge into the pool of marine retail.
but don't take it personal what WM charges.
it just is what it is.

Dec 2, 1999
I believe that if WM had not tried to be in every place that has a body of water in every town and every state they would not be spread so thin.

Their prices are out of line There are items like water pump that 20% or more expensive than exactly the same pump at Camping World and they are not the least expensive.

It is expensive to operate retail locations in many of these places. In So. Cal. they have 2 of them in Newport Beach on Pacific Coast Hwy within a couple of miles of each other (one location was a BoatUS many years ago). I doubt that both of them are both doing well, but they just need to occupy the market. They take their winners and loosers put them in the pot and together they are doing okay.

The bottom line is that you can still go to most other retail marine outlets and do better than WM. They have continued to survive so more power to them.

I am like many of you, if I need something in a hurry I bite the bullet and pay the premium. If I do not need it today, I order it over the net.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
I gotta say, the most uttered phrase at West Marine has got to be "I can get that for you." Not very comforting when you need something yesterday!

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I am always shocked at all the complaints about West Marine. Florida stores must be different. The ones I have been to have a good amount of stock and they price match everything. I carry my smartphone and look at Defender, show them the webpage on my phone and they ring it up with no attitude. If I need to return something or if something does not work right, they go far beyond what should be expected of a retail outlet.

My experience with them has been top notch. I still order from the internet because of the ease of doing so at 10:30 at night when I am thinking of it. I also love stopping into one of their stores. I have also be fortunate that the stores I have been to in Jacksonville and Tampa have experienced sailors employed there, they know exactly what I am looking for.

Liam

Apr 5, 2005
Beneteau 331 Santa Cruz
Price Matching Sucks

Personally I find the idea of "price matching "offensive.
It's like... "Okay, if YOU do the research and find out what the fair price is we will give it to you. Otherwise we are going to rip you a new one!"

The one time that I went to West Marine with the intention of doing a "price match", even though I brought a print-out of the competitors internet page, the sales person acted like I was trying to "pull one over" on him. Finally he said, "Well okay we will match the price but you have to pay the tax and a Port Supply deliver fee." With that the price was still $45 higher than the internet price.

Status
Not open for further replies.