Well...the time comes to all of us....

Jan 13, 2011
Hunter 33 (78 Cherubini) Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
...each sailor, each, boat, each of us.

My beloved 1978 33' Cherubini Hunter (Dunlook'n) has developed issues that I am unwilling to address...given her age. I expect to call the yard tomorrow and arrange for her to be "scrapped." I had hoped she, and I, would go out together in a Viking funeral ("Lo do I see my Father"). Something that would light up the night sky above the Chesapeake...and guide our way home. While her obituary would be long, and full of the adventures we shared, like lovers in a steamy novel...those stories will remain between she, and I.

If you have one of these boats, and need parts...e-mail me. I will be taking everything I can off the boat to store and await the time I find my new "forever boat." The next boat will not be her replacement. No matter how many women a man may "know" throughout his life, he never forgets his first. Measured against that standard...she was so much more than even that.

RIP Dunlook'n

Steve
bion302@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2019
Hunter 37 Centerport
Like Kappy, I am sorry to here this Steve. The Cherubinis are great boats. I've never had a 33, but I've had a 27 which I loved and (2) 37's. Circumstances may force me to let my current boat go, in which case my heart will be broken. It's the last 37 ever made, hull #417.

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I think about Dunlook'n's fate and my mind drifts to my own 1979 Cherubini 30.
I bought Intuition new in July, so we've had 44 years together this month.
That's 6 years more than half my life on this mud ball.
We have dodged or survived more hurricanes in Florida and
the Islands than I can remember. So, I think about what comes in the future.
And I am reminded of the words of a brave man many years ago, Winston Churchill...
I'll paraphrase the sentiment to fit the situation:
"I shall fight in the Ile de France, I shall fight on the seas and oceans, I shall fight with confidence in the growing strength of the wind. I shall defend my vessel, whatever the cost may be. I shall fight off the beaches, I shall fight on the fishing grounds, I shall fight in the mooring fields and in the dry docks. I shall fight over Kick 'em Jack and the Mona Passage;
I shall never surrender".

Sail on in spirit Dunlook'n.