Well, got the m802 and at140 installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2010
Morgan classic 41 South Daytona Beach, Fl.
And feel dumb as dirt. Gam antenna, Kiss ssb...even spoke with the kiss guy during install. Should have been a piece of cake. I' m not transmitting. Seem to be receiving, but who knows? When I key the mike, there is no bars showing on the display. Of course, I have no proper swr meter. Before I shoot myself, I would entertain suggestions.

Jun 19, 2010
Sorry. On my so called smartphone. I have done the initial setup specifying the at140 tuner and auto tune. When I hit thru/ tune, tune flashes once. When I key mike, tx shows. If I modulate, no bars indicate that sound is being made.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Couple of things to check. The first is the anntenna connection. Make sure you hooked up the antenna to the right connector. The M802 has two connections on the transceiver. One is for the transmit antenna and the other is for the DSC antenna. They are right next to each other. Also make sure all the connections are tight.

Mar 12, 2008
And I agree about the smartphone issue. I emailed Phil once to see if this forum could be added to the app. Guess it couldn't be done.

One other question for you? How old is your GAM? I used one before on my old boat. They work great, but the problem with it is the GTO15 feed line wicks up moisture. When it goes bad, the RF signal will arc through and burn the center conductor. The only way to fix it is to send it in. I had mine repaired an held it for a backup. When I installed the 802 on my new boat, I used the GAM, but eventually I'll have the backstay modified.

When the GAM goes bad, usually you start seeing trouble tuning on the lower frequencies and will get a SWR warning. Mine would tune but I couldn't transmit.

Jun 19, 2010
Karl, thanks for the reply. Gam is new out of box, so think conductor is alright. Checked the antenna connection. Are tight and on correctly acording to the POS instruction manual. We had a loose speaker wire on the power supply box that we had to resolder before we could even begin. Gotta love QC at Icom. The mike cord at the control input is a real piece of work, we appear to have continuity in the mike set though. Anyone know of an Icom tech in the Daytona area?

Mar 12, 2008
There is a good source on the ICOM 802 in Florida That would be Gary at Dockside Radio. His website is:

www.docksideradio.com

Don't know where you got your equipment, but Gary is really good at helping out. Might want to give him a call.

And I was wondering about the mic connections. No audio from the mic would cause the same issue. The 802 only transmits when there is an audio signal. I wasn't wild about the mic. I had a chance to bend Bob Heil's ear one time about coming out with a better mic from the marine radios but I guess the market won't support the effort it would take.

Jun 19, 2010
Thanks Karl. I will call him today. Ferrites. I found if I turn everything off on the boat and shut down shorepower, I can actually hear and not have a bunch of spurious noise. I will see if the Shack carrys them. Not sure where to place them, smartphone searches are a pain, maybe I can get some insite from Dockwise and go from there. Found out about the noise problem when I tried to listen to Chris Parker this Am. I previouly thought I didn't have a handle on how to control my squelch! I could fill a book with my ignorance.

Mar 12, 2008
We've all been there. And yes, there are a number of sources of noise that you'll have to look at, like battery chargers/inverters, any refrigerator or freezers, and anything with an electric motor. Ferrites will help but not cure all of the issues. I find myself turning off the fridge and freezer when I use the radio. My problem is I sometimes forget to turn them back on.

Gary can sell you what you need on the ferrites and give you some advice as to placement. His prices are on these items are close to the local ham shack, but you'll get great advice. He's not a fan of the GAM though, even though I've used both the GAM and the backstay antennas and I keep telling him there is no difference.

Jun 19, 2010
Ordered the book and the ferrites from Gary. He was very helpful on several ideas to identify the source(s) of RFI. He also helped me realize that the 30x130ft metal boat dock roof next to me might be a bit of an issue...... so I may be sailing to see if it all works as I hope it will. (like I said, fill a book.....)

Jun 19, 2010
Couple quick questions.... The GTO cable is encased in it's plasticy cover. I was told that this cable should not come in contact with the metal backstay. We have it secured to the ungrounded backstay (which has one of those white plastic sleeves on it) with those plastic wire ties. It's plastic, coming in contact with plastic. None of the bare wire comes in contact with the other. Is this still an issue and should I stand it off about an inch or so until it reaches the GAM?
And the other question. I have a stainless ring mount attached to the backstay just below where the GAM starts, that I run my flag halyard for the US falg to. It is a quite substantial hunk of metal. Is that a possible source of RF towards my GAM? Should I find another flag solution, like the topping lift and loose the great hulking chunk of stainless there?

Mar 12, 2008
As long as the backstay is ungrounded, there shouldn't be an issue. I've tried offsetting the GTO line and I've also tried running the line in a plastic shroud cover. Both seem to work the same. And I doubt that the mount would cause that much of an issue. However, you might want to take it off and see if your signal improves.

Jun 19, 2010
Thanks. Al (my husband) wants to get some more of the plastic shroud cover and use it around the GTO cable. I figure it can't hurt. After I install the ferrites and such, I will see how much RFI and noise I still pick up. I really like that flag mount!

Mar 12, 2008
The way I look at it, the GTO line is part of the antenna from the tuner up. There are a lot more spots that will be a little more questionable than the flag holder. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. You will find that your radio will work better away from the marina as well. I had great reception in my marina until a lot of sailboats moved in around me. The other masts and all the man made noise drowns out everything.

You'll have to post a picture when you are all done. And post your call sign. We'll all keep an ear out for you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.