Weld, Replace, or Scream and Cry?

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
UPDATE:
So I was finally able to locate a welder that could do the repair and I am pleased with the results. The weld came out clean and strong and I am not worried at all about the integrity of the repair.

I am trying to post pictures of the repair but for some reason it keeps telling me there was a problem after it gets to 100%

I'll keep trying to post them but if I can't and anyone wants to see them, PM me and i'll email them to you.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Glad you were able to get it repaired! I'd love to see a pic! PM on way

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Thanks, email is sent.

Next is to finish cleaning the engine and painting it. Spring is coming quickly and I still have a lot to do before we splash. At least though I am in the rebuild stage now, and not the tearing down stage trying to figure out WTF stuff is or why it was done that way.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm a hammer guy. All my Dad taught me about mechanics was that if a hammer didn't work you need a bigger hammer. So I'm sympatheic and say Hammerers Unite! You have nothing to lose but your thumbnails.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Did he tell you what he used? Maybe brazing or soldering of some sort? Super Alloy 1? And it looks like it was done on the engine, correct?

Want to put your solution in my bag of tricks if possible.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I'm not sure how he did it, but it was done on the engine. I made a cradle out of 4x4's, used my cherry picker to put it in the back of my suv and he took it out with a fork lift.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
A man with a cherry picker - we're all envious :) Sorry to say, but that is one dirty/rusty engine - it looks like it may have encountered some salt water at some point. Please post pictures when you get it looking all pretty - before and after should be pretty dramatic.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
A man with a cherry picker - we're all envious :) Sorry to say, but that is one dirty/rusty engine - it looks like it may have encountered some salt water at some point. Please post pictures when you get it looking all pretty - before and after should be pretty dramatic.
Oh trust me, I planned on it. There is no way I can sleep at night knowing that this is how people think I keep my boat. It will be pretty and it will be posted as soon as it's done. :thumbup:

Believe it or not, but all of the rust is purely in the paint. I have already stripped away a good portion of the paint with a dremel (I need a sand blaster to get the rest) and the metal beneath it is in excellent condition.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
So here is the follow up / closure. I just posted this pic in another thread to follow up for something else, but here it is again. I sandblasted the engine this morning and just put on the first coat of paint. It isn't done yet and is far from perfect but it is magnitudes better than it used to be.
engine.jpg

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
It is, I didn't want to do a color change and was too lazy to try to match it my self