Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Colombo

Welcome to the sailboatowners.com sailmaker forum! My name is Bill Colombo and I will be hosting the forum this week. I am the loft manager at Doyle Sailmakers San Francisco, which is located in Alameda, CA. This forum is always a fun oppurtunity to answer some great questions that many sailors wonder about. So feel free to chime in with any sail-related questions you might have. Good Sailing, Bill Colombo Doyle Sailmakers

S

Steve Carpman

Outhaul

We own a 1991 Hunter Legend 37.5 - a fractional rig with a very large main sail. The main is loose footed. We need to change the outhaul system - we get very little control with the current system. The existing outhaul is internal, exiting at about mid-boom to a cleat. We are thinking about installing an interal 6:1 block arrangement exiting at the existing mid-boom location or running the outhaul to the mast and then back to one of the halyard winches located on the coach roof. There are available sheaves in the forward end of the boom. Another suggestion was to use the 6:1 block arrangement and still run the outhaul back to the halyard winch. I would like to hear your thoughts which arrangement you think would work best and why. Thanks for the help.

W

walter

loose foot

What are pros and cons of a loose footed main Thanks for advice

T

ted

Steve, Here's how I modifed my outhaul..

When I bought my knew main I chose a loose foot for performance and control. The first thing I did with the outhaul was to get rid of the slug slider. I want something smooth and responsive. I built a outhaul car assembly. I bolted a piece of travler track to the boom and mounted a small main traveler car to the track. I added two triple blocks internally for 6:1 I exit the boom at the bottm foward, about even with the main traveler and run the line back on the outside of the boom to a swivle cleat. Its easy to adjust from in the cockpit. All the blocks together give me 9:1. But I have only a 25footer. A boat your size you would want to run the outline to a winch. I tacked a large bungee from the middle of the boom to the front of the outhaul car. This bungee provides forward tension on the car, so when I uncleat the outline and the car snaps foward pulling the line real fast through the 6 blocks. It's great for adjustments in light air. Ted

B

Bill O'Donovan

Happy customer

Karisa and Bly and Tim helped me order a new main and jib last year, with great patience and success. My question has to do with Sail Care, the people who clean and re-resin sails. I've heard pros and cons and wonder what your take is. Thanks.

R

Russ Colombo

Information, please.

Bill: Let me add my own personal welcome to your association with this forum. Curiosity moved me to this question: is the correct spelling of your surname "Colombo" or "Columbo"? (Both were used.) I've been involved with sailing for over forty years now on the east coast and was tickled to learn of another "Colombo" coming on the radar screen, particularly as I'm now retired. Best of luck to you! Russ Colombo

B

Bob

Bill, you didn't ask for it,

but I'll toss in my experiences with SailCare. I've had them do three sails for me. About a year ago they did a main and a jib, and the sails came back looking almost like new. However, the sails had lots of use before I sent them in, and of course their shapes were the same (OK for afternoon cruising, not so hot for racing). SailCare's service was exactly as advertised - they contacted me before doing anything to the sails, informing me of what repairs, alterations, etc. they recommended. I was free to decline any of those services (such as sewing on stick-on numbers, which come loose in the cleaning process). Later that year I sent in an old genoa to get a price on having it processed, then decided not to have them do it, as I planned to sell the sail anyway and the estimate was a little more than I wanted to put into the sail. I was very slow in notifying them, and when I did they said they would send the sail back to me, no charge, although they had already processed it so as to get ahead on some orders. That sail was pretty grungy, and only about half of the deep dirt came out in their cleaning process, though it was nice and crisp. By the way, I paid them - it was my mistake, not theirs.

B

Bill Colombo

Loose Footed Mainsails

Walter, I really like loose footed mains and you will continue to see more and more of them. They have a wider range of adjustment i.e. they can get both flatter and fuller than a standard foot mainsail. The loose foot also offers more options in term of rigging reef lines and preventers etc. I have heard that some people use the standard foot to catch rainwater in dry climates but that's what watermakers are for... Thanks, Bill Colombo Doyle Sailmakers

Status
Not open for further replies.