Welcome

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Nothing says, “Welcome” to a port for me like meeting a boat I designed.

Snowflower of Gloucester, a gentleman’s lobsterboat and the second boat I designed after I went to work for John Gilbert in Boston. She was only the third boat I designed that actually got built. Construction was by Gladding Hearn which built all but two of my research vessel designs and started my long association with that yard. The owner was (and may still be) the fellow who invented the wire lobster trap and built the factory that made most of the wire mesh that lies all over the bottoms of New England. I couldn’t raise the fellow fishing on either the radio or by hailing to find out if it was him. I realized why when I spotted the hearing aids in his ears.

I’m now anchored in Gloucester, one week after docking at New Hamburg on the Hudson. Seldom in my cruising have weather and tide aligned to let me cover so much ground so quickly. I should be back in Maine tomorrow.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Safe journey, fair winds (and currents:)), we always enjoy the photos you take and share.

Any truth to the rumor that the sooner you get to Maine the faster Dreameagle gets there? :clap: :)

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Any truth to the rumor that the sooner you get to Maine the faster Dreameagle gets there?
No, her date is fixed by her ride. The boat doesn't seem as empty when it's moving and it would be a sin to squander this great traveling weather.

My son is also in Maine. Any days I do spend without moving, I would much rather be in Maine for.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
Pretty Boat!
I know the feeling of seeing your own work after a long time. The longer the absence the more critical my eye is. Of course, most of my work stays where I put it in the first place. You've got the surprise element of mobility going for you.
Glad to see the posts going up again!