Weekend Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich Songer

The challenge was given and, like a fool or dunce, I took it. My friends were buying anything from 32 to 45-foot cabin cruisers that came with all the toys. The problem is they spent, or are spending on a monthly basis, a lot of money to spend a weekend, comfortably, on a boat. It was during a party onboard one of the boats I questioned why did they have to spend so much for a couple of days on the boat. I suggested I could be just as comfortable, have their amenities, without spending an arm and leg, and have all the conveniences needed for two people to enjoy themselves over a long weekend. This is how the challenge was framed, and I intend to show, a comfortable weekend cruiser can be had for under $10,000. Further, I intend to prove it using a 1983, MacGregor 25’ with a swing keel. I’m not sure anyone out there is interested this type of project. The renovations are underway to meet the goal, but not being an experienced sailor (first time in my life) I could use some advice, directions, or suggestions that could help me reach my goal. Again, I’m not sure anyone is interested in this type of project, but for those that are I would certainly like to frame questions based on your expertise of the pending problems that have to be overcome. I have a general plan on what has to be done, what could be done, and what I’d like to see to make this boat a weekend cruiser. Developing a starting date for the project (November 11th), I’m going to bring the boat up in stages based on a completion date of the last of June, next year. I’m setting-up a web-site to view production plans based on the goal targeted, and those that contribute to the project must know that all communications will be published on this site. I needed to do this to ensure I didn’t run into a conflict of interest with MacGregor or the forum. The site will be opened the beginning of November should I receive enough response to warrant the support of the project. For those that participate in this project, I want to thank you upfront. I’m not positive how long it will take, but I know without question it will be completed. My belief that microelectronics has not been exploited to the full extent in sailing, or any other area of recreation, is going to make all objectives reach the goals that have been set. Using the economy of space and size prevalent in Japanese designs and combining this philosophy with the readily available electronic and micro technology, this project will succeed! Rich Songer songer@tellink.net

Attachments

T

Tim Bastian

Interested

Hi Rich, I'm very interested in following your project. Sounds like a good way to send some time. I'm relatively new to boating / sailing so I'm not sure how much help I can be. I ordered a Mac26X on September 27,2002 and am currently waiting for delivery. I learned to sail in a Flying Scott about 3 years ago and I can get a boat around the lake. That's about the extent of my experience. I'd be happy bounce ideas back and forth if you would find it helpful. Best of luck, Tim Bastian timbastian@hangar-a.com www.hangar-a.com

M

Michael Sindelar

Go For It, Rich!

I think your project is excellent! I am a new owner of a 1985 Mac 25, and I've been thinking of ways to improve and modify the boat. I will enjoy keeping up with your progress. While I am new to this size of sailboat, I do have several years of sailing an old Venture catamaran, and I have a lot of experience with "family boating" in general! I will certainly be glad to give you some input whenever possible! Enjoy the project! Michael

J

Julia

You have the basics

I enjoy my boat wine cheese and song included. Sure you can add some stuff but the basics come with the boat; head, galley, dinning area, nice cockpit. Add some goodies like a bimini, and music an extra cooler for ice and refreshments,viola, party time!

Attachments

B

Bruce Trotter

Ideas

I am new to boating and bought a 1982 Mac 25 last summer. It had not been sailed for two years so it needed a lot of work. It is pretty bare bones (no galley) and that is also a project I am planning. I Doubt if I will be of much assistance to you but will be following your progress perhaps for some ideas! Good Luck...Bruce

J

John Bell

Good idea!

I have a MAC 25 (85) and agree that it can be a comfortable weekend cruiser. Still have original equipment including a galley -- it works great!! Keep us posted on your progress and website address.

V

Vince Chairenza

Put your personality into it, too.

This sounds like a fun project ( some work too )I am very interested in following your progress. I am willing to give some input if I can. After the boat show in L.A. I am planning to buy a 26X or 26M????? and then I want to "personalize" it. I'll be looking for your web site. Please keep me posted. Vince amx@antelecom.net

J

Jeff G

Re: Ideas

Bruce, I am getting ready to repeat your experience. I will be picking up an 81 MAC25 that hasn't been sailed in at least 18 months. What have you done to your boat over this past year? Did you see any problems with dry rot, mold or mildew from extended storage? Regards, Jeff

M

Michial Thompson

I am doing this same thing

Its kinda funny, I started the same project about the same time. I have a Mac 25 that has been severely neglected (and even sunk). I began to seriously work the project 3 weeks ago. My restoral is a much more serious job, I am starting off with a Mac 25 that has a 2x6" hole below waterline, the only interior items I have are the sink, and table. All cushions and wood are gone. My goal is to end up with a Cruiser that has all the the ammenities of home. Just a brief rundown of my plans, with a tour of words: Area behind back rest of rear table seat is going to be closed off, with 2 or 3 drawers that are accessed by unsnapping the back seat. I am going to glass in the head, build a 3" lip, and install a manual flush toilet, and a showerhead (sit down shower). Foe the V-Birth, I am either going to hang a curtain, or a thing wall to close it off for privacy. I have not layed down in the V-Birth yet, but if there is room I am going to close of a foot or so of the bow, and install a chain locker. The Galley is going to be fixed in place, and behind it will be fresh water storage, and behind the back bulkhead I am going to put a holding tank for the head. I plan to install twin batteries, and a 100 watt solar charger placed on top of the mast to keep the batteries topped off. Right now I am fairing the hull, and dooing the glass repairs. I hope to have the first coat of paint down on the hull by this comming weekend. Its my last weekend before having surgery on my wrist and having to break for 6 weeks to recover. I have an agressive goal of having her on the water by December 20th, but realistically I doubt I will be able to make it.

B

Bruce Trotter

Cruiser

I am new at sailing also and have a Mac 25 I am not the one to give advice but am interested in your project. What is your web site address? I will be following your progress!

J

John Torrey

Ideas for Mac 25

I, too have an 83 Mac 25. We live in Corpus Christi and sail our bay, and up and down the coast. Its hot down here so we found a great solution to our summertime sailing/sleeping comfort. We mounted four 1" bars of wood, about 4 inches long on each side of the lower cockpit wall about 3/4's of an inch below the seat edge. We then cut a 3/4" 4X8 plywood sheet to be able to lie on the wood strips forming one giant floor across the cockpit seats. We then plug in our little air compressor to blow up a queen size matress and lay it across the entire area. We put a quilt on it, have a day lounging area and an open very comfortable place to sleep at night. Properly cut into two sections the smaller one can function as a cocktail table and drink holder. Store them under the matresses in the V-berth. Idea # 2 Put a window acroos the front of the boat. It will brighten up the cabin so much. Idea # 3 A small investment in hardware will allow you to route all of your lines to the cockpit. These are the things that have proven to be of the most benefit to us. Best of luck to you. John "Miss Diane"

D

Dave Decker

Must be in the air!

I too have become a "proud" owner of a 1981 Mac 25. I bought it off Ebay sight unseen. I figured if the owner was willing to take me sailing when he delivered it at least it wouldn't sink. It is basically in good shape from what I can tell and all the necessary equipment is there. Now the plan is to turn it into a great weekend cruiser. So I'm very interested in following your progress plus everyone else's. At the same time I will relate what projects I have going. The plan is to be on the water by May 2003 with not all but several amenities of home. Please advise when your website is up. Thanks and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.