Wednesday is Photo Day!

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
The single most annoying thing about our new-to-us O'Day 39 was the lack of a nav desk. This version came with an additional ice box and bank of drawers where the nav desk would be. When I hauled out last fall, I began the process to right this wrong. Project is pretty close to complete - last photo is a dry-fit before final installation and finishing.

Attachments

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Nice how the old stuff came out so cleanly. I worry that our furniture would be tabbed into the hull, and we don’t have the pans that you do on your boat. Makes it look like you’ve gone from party boat to homework central. What kind of wood did you use?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The single most annoying thing about our new-to-us O'Day 39 was the lack of a nav desk. This version came with an additional ice box and bank of drawers where the nav desk would be. When I hauled out last fall, I began the process to right this wrong. Project is pretty close to complete - last photo is a dry-fit before final installation and finishing.
You took out an ice box for a nav table? Don't you have a dining table in the salon? My B323 took away storage space under the nav "desk". I boxed in the foot well with a piece of plywood, and now store things too large for the under-seat storage cubbies.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I looked back through Phil's Weekly Past Polls but could not find one asking owners about their use of a nav/chart table. Maybe one for a future Monday morning.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Nice how the old stuff came out so cleanly. I worry that our furniture would be tabbed into the hull, and we don’t have the pans that you do on your boat. Makes it look like you’ve gone from party boat to homework central. What kind of wood did you use?
Mostly Baltic birch that I veneered with teak. Some solid teak, like the cubbies and lids at the top of the desk, and the edge banding is Sapele. The strips on the seat are maple because that's what I had in my shop in a width big enough to do what I wanted:) Going to have to get creative on the staining...

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Here is the curved nav seat in the vacuum bag - 6 pieces of 1/8" Baltic birch laminated with teak veneer on both sides. I made the form out of 2" rigid styrofoam.
Cool! I’d have been tempted to forget the teak and just stain the birch, but the grain is likely a bit more open.