Website Construction Question

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Our YC has a website, but like so many others, it was started by someone who hired a guy to construct it and now he's gone and the thing needs a revamp. So, I may wade into this swamp and after reading some information, have some questions:

1. It seems the 'free' templates are offered through hosting firms. And, you have to sign the contract to get the tools. So, since we already have our domain, how do I get a tool to construct a simulated site so I can work it up and test it before choosing a hosting service? Any recommendations? I'm willing to pay for it.

2. Once I have a site set up, how do I get it to a hosting service with the same domain name it currently has?

3. What else should I know I failed to ask?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
There are multiple tools to develop websites out there. From free to very expensive. If the site is only HTML then that really helps as you can probably find tools for free. I do web dev on the side and have a hosting company I am a reseller for as well. I have been a professional geek for 17 years. As far as getting the site up on the hosting servers, I use a free FTP tool to do that, Leech FTP. As far as templates, all depends on the template you want, there are HTML templates, CSS templates, ASP, JSP, etc.. you get the point. If the current hosting company has templates for websites, they should have a tool you can use to edit your site with. I am willing to help you out if you want. If you want to do the work and just ask questions of me that is fine. If you want me to do the work instead, that's fine too. All up to you. Send me a PM on what you are looking for and I can see what I can come up with. If you just want to PM me an e-mail address, we can do that too.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
We used a customizable social media site to reprogram our webpage at Centerboard Yacht Club. It is based at Ning.com. It was very easy to build and even easier to maintain. Crusical for when I decide to leave my post as webmaster.

Feel free to use our site as a template.

http://www.centerboardyachtclub.org/