Weather helm - Escape Captiva

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Tredgett

I bought a secondhand Escape Captiva. Even sailed absolutely flat (necessary also to keep weather helm to a minimum), it is very reluctant to tack in anything of a blow, wanting to sit head to wind. The problem is obviously that the centre of lateral resistance is too far forward of the centre of effort. The solution would normally be to rake the mast further forward, or the centreboard further aft, which would also reduce the prominent weather helm. However, I can see no way of adjusting mast rake on my Captiva, nor any completely satisfactory way of raking the centreboard aft. There is a silicon rubber insert at the front underside of the centreboard case which positively locates and holds the leading edge of the centreboard, and any method I can think of to rake the centreboard further aft prevents the board from reaching and seating in this insert. Has anybody else noticed this problem, perhaps even solved it?

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Weather helm is a balancing act .......

Most folks simply dont understand that the sails must be correctly 'shaped and set' to achieve a 'balanced' helm. Most time the designers 'get it right' with mast and keel/board position. Next time out look for the 'position of where the maximum draft' is located in the sail... where the 'curve' of the sail is farthest to leeward. Then begin to tighten the halyard until the 'max. draft position' starts to 'move forward' as you continue to tighten the halyard. You can tighten the halyard until its 'bar-tight' if necessary so that the sail performs as the sailmaker designed it. If you take ANY sail and 'just-raise-it' 99 times out of 100 the position of max. draft will be too far aft which causes the weather helm. Most dacron sails MUST have their luffs 'stretched' so that the result of the stretching get the position of max. draft where it is intended to be. For 15-18 kts. winds, a dacron sail (with boltrope luff) needs to be stretched approximately 1" for every 9-10 ft. of luff length. If a sail requires constant 'overtightening' of the halyard then in all probability the 'boltrope' has shrunken and needs to be 'eased' by a sailmaker - shrunken boltropes are very common on 'old' sails. Hope this helps.

P

Peter Tredgett

Thanks for that, Rich. The Escape range however lacks a halyard (or gooseneck) with which to adjust luff tension - the sail has no boltrope or even cars, but has a luff tube which encloses the unstayed mast. The sail has only one control - the outhaul, which as you know when pulled fully home flattens the sail and increases mast bend, particularly when close hauled, moving the bunt aft.

Oct 10, 2005
- - Wisconsin
weather helm-escape chacha

I have sailed my chacha- a 7foot sailboat with the rudder in front of boat and there are times I simply cannot seem to get the boat to go in the direction I need to. There is no cenerboard but two protrusions about a foot deep in the back or the boat. I cannot tack close hauled without the boat either going into the wind and in irons or turning too far downwind, so that I am on a far reach. The best way to sail this seems to be to have the wind directly blowing into the pier or out of the pier so that I can dock correctly. Is this a design flaw? Is my sailing technique at fault? My sailing terminology is not the best, so bear with me. I think you are saying somewhat the same thing about the Captiva not handling well in this situation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have had to be hauled in by fishermen twice this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.