Weather Forum moves; JamesG161 & Jssailem are now Featured Contributors

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I'm excited to announce a change in our forum lineup today! The Weather & Forecasting forum is now part of the Featured Contributors section, joining Musings with Maine Sail and Don Guillette's Sail Trim Forum.

Weather & Forecasting will be hosted by James Gurley and John Shepard (@JamesG161 & @jssailem) who have demonstrated their skills and experience there since the day it opened.

With hurricane season ramping up and an overall increase in extreme weather, stop in and get acquainted! it's one of those forums you think you may not need... until all of a sudden you do. But even when the weather isn't an emergency, there are plenty of interesting discussions in the forum that will make your sailing safer and more fun.

Please join me in congratulating Jim and John, and check out their forum!

hurricane.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure @FDL S2. I have been told I wear a “”Mummy” suit... I just thought it was my regular clothing. Doesn’t everyone dress this way... I think It is from the Skip Novak line.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Congratulations Jssailem on your new appointment. Hopefully you will provide good weather to the Jersey shore.
And also the Great Lakes-Should be No Problem for the All Seeing/All Knowing Wizards ! :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice thought Alan. I was always afraid of the Wizard.

The changes in the jet stream put weather predictions on a pretty short leash. Or with considerable use of qualifiers in any statement.

We’ll see what happens. Our experience with the PacificNW have been fortunate. The evolution of Atlantic storms these past two years have been formative. I’ve learned a lot from @JamesG161.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The changes in the jet stream put weather predictions on a pretty short leash
We are doing a bit more research on the Jet Stream. It appears to be violently changing with Big Southerly Dips.
John's experience on Flight Levels found a Windy.com type peek at it. Maybe @jssailem could post a snapshot of 200mb pressure as a demo.

We will be posting what we know, since the Great Lakes appear to be a Fall/Winter target.
_____
Note the Dip expected over the Great Lakes this week for a big Chill.
Animation of Jet Stream Forecasts for North America
Jim...

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Lake Ontario at Kingston -4C, snowing and “smoke on the water” lake freezing. I think your forecasting is pretty good ;)

9C691098-224F-4227-AEF5-2B53103FF353.jpeg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I quite often use the Canadian radar system to help me build my sailing plan. The 3hr timelapse gives me a fairly good idea of when the nasty stuff will arrive. The link below is for all of Canada.