We need a solo-boat handling skills forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
We need a forum devoted to solo sailors and the requisite techniques for successful solo boat handling.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nah, we really don't. This is a great place to ask and answer all questions. Having different categories just confuses things and makes it harder to see what's "happening" on a daily basis.

Try this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.0.html

Those techniques will work just fine for you and your boat.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with a theory.
So I'm thinking that getting experience is the answer to your problem not getting a lot of (what would be to you) theory.
Sailing is not that hard and I think you will be amazed at how good you are after spending a few hours on the waters experimenting.

So what are you having problems with?

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
My easiest three tips:
1) One hand for the boat one hand for the man.
2) Speed is life...or in this case steering.
3) That being said, never make your final approach to the dock faster than you want to hit it.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
I sail with my wife....

(she's not reading this).... and that's almost like sailing solo.

There are some pluses like meals (she does a really good job of that), and let's not forget Margaritas (she makes really good ones).

Then there are other areas like keeping the boat tidy and things put away so they don't become adrift.

With sailing, maybe helping out when I'm anchoring or weighing anchor, or steering the boat while I'm putting up the main.

Otherwise, the rest of the time it's pretty much like I'm sailing solo. Our boat is pretty easy to tack singlehanded but maybe in a tight situation we would work as a team but mostly it's just me. The autohelm is a good friend in many cases.

Flying the chute it's helpful to have her helping out but I've done that alot when solo sailing but undoing an hourglass singlehanded when the wind has piped up is not something you really want to do solo.

Throwing a reef in the main can be helpful, though not necessary, to have a second hand. This would depend on how the boat is rigged. Some boats have a really high boom so it is harder to gather the sail up. We've got a Dutchman system which keeps everything together so one person can reef, especially with an autohelm, but at 20+ knots apparent for the first reef it is helpful to have a crew help. If sailing singlehanded then I'd reef earlier.

Navigating: My wife likes to keep track of where we are so this takes that load off me. I can do it but this means I don't have to. Many times I can figure out where we are by eyeball while she needs the GPS.

Basically, a lot of solo sailing is like having to do more jobs over a give length of time so you're more busy.

Okay, docking. Just thought of that. This can be handy to have a second person on board for most people. However, my wife wil not jump onto the dock and therefore it's, again, almost like going solo. Having the second hand, though, tends to allow for a little more latitude because she can snub the bowline to keep the bow from being blown off while I grab the stern line. I have to admit, this is very helpful. Going solo, though, I'd probably use the midship cleat.

Bottom line, I don't know that there is so much difference that there would be enough activity to support a separate a separate section, but I could be wrong. A post that specifies it pertains to "solo" should, if people read it properly, result in the appropriate responses. But hey, that's a problem with all the posts on any board, here or anywhere else. And the mate to that is the post that doesn't provide enough details to begin with and then doesn't answer questions of the follow-on posters who are trying to, say, narrow down the scope or figure things out.

So, now my question: Just wondering, what areas or what kind of things would you think one could discuss about solo sailing vs what is the standard fare here? I would assume this would be more about boat handling).

Maintenance is usually a solo effort (except for "Please [can't forget that important word] pass me the wrench, Dear." [another important word!]

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We don't need a solo-boat handling skills forum!

"The next time you're down below, could you get me...?" :)

Instead of solo, you might want to try "single handed" with or without the space. Try a search on this board and you'll find lots.

Solo is Hans in space.

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
While I own a much smaller boat that those who have posted above, I single hand 95% of the time, and I have singlehanded boats up to 40'. And while it is more challenging the larger I go, the experience and confidence I gained from sailing my 22, makes the world of difference. Joe recommended he "tips" for singlehanded sailing. I agree, while you may not be able to use all the tips, or even want to, reading it did get me thinking about how to be more efficient at what I was doing.

I might suggest going out short handed (ie take the wife, or a friend, someone not seasoned). Just having someone there as "backup" will help you sort out your routine, and ease your mind, about doing it all by yourself. Just like John mentioned. I think you might be surprised, by how much you can do by yourself.

Remember several 16 y/o girls have sailed around the world singlehanded, certainly a grown man can sail Lake Michigan ;) Heck, we were goofing off once, and my 12 y/o ended up sailing our 22 by herself. It wasnt far, but she did have to tack, and while she didnt have to, she even tacked the genny by herself. Later I asked her why she didnt just let it go, and she said she had seen me do it so many times, she didnt even think about it.

Good luck

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Like Inarathree, I too sail single-handed a vast majority of the time, and agree that "time on the water" is the BEST teacher... Bill said the same thing... e.g., start out with just the main for x number of sails, then add the jib for x number of sails, (all in tame weather), then step it up in tougher wind / wave conditions for x number of sails, all this is where 'x' is really determined by your comfort and skill improvement levels. (i.e., "step therapy")

Geez, I'm starting to sound like what Stu thought was UNnecssary.

If there are SPECIFIC issues / questions search keywords in the forums, if not found, post 'em...

Anyways, having to think and do everything makes one ... "one with the boat" !!

Status
Not open for further replies.