Waterlogged 410 Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Bunsey

I recently noticed that there was a liquid dripping slowly from the aft end of our H410 rudder. It turned out to be water. The dealer sounded out the rudder and then drilled it to release the water. The good news is that Hunter wants the rudder back and is going to replace it. The bad news is that it happened in the first place. Has anyone else had the same problem?

W

William Davis

Water logged Rudder

My H23 rudder has a vertical crack in the front of the rudder. Been meaning to get in there and repair it. The plan is to remove and dry it out. Apply regular epoxy to fill the crack and sand shape to rest of leading edge. I would love to have hunter replace it for free.

S

Stephen Ostrander

rudder

This is a typical problem on many boats, not just Hunters. The real problems start when the water inside the rudder freezes and expands, delaminating the rudder. I talked to a guy that drilled drain holes in his rudder every fall at haul-out and expoxied them in the spring before launch. I'm assuming yours is a warranty issue, but don't be surprised if it happens again down the road.

B

Bob England

Same problem

This was my first winter owning a 1989 H30G, and I didn't drill a drain hole in the bottom of the rudder in the fall. Sure enough, this spring there is a hairline crack right down the front seam of the rudder. I need a couple of warm, dry days to repair this, and my club's launch day (do or die!) is April 28th. But, it won't stop snowing here in Toronto!!

Status
Not open for further replies.