Water under engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
I was wondering if anyone else has this situation. The water from my stuffing box falls back into the basin under the engine. It seems the joint that drips is too far forward to drop in to the area that can drain into the bilge. So I end up taking my trusty turkey baster and draining the few cups out each week.
I can drill a few holes in the basin under the engine, but later if I would have an oil leak I would have oil in my bilge (not something I think I should do).
I can create a dam of some type to force the water back to the area that drains to the bilge.
Or continue to have a close working relationship with my turkey baster.
Anyone done this or have this issue?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Don't get it

My stuffing box has a separate area (under my read bed) where the water drops and it normally stays there and evaporates leaving a residue. My engine has a separate area to catch overflows/spills that is also separate from my main bilge. I have observed my stuffing box when running and I get a drip every few seconds, and it seems to be OK. Sounds like you are getting a lot more water through the stuffing box than you need or I am not getting enough (my doesn't seem to be too hot either).

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Re-do your dam to catch the drippings, I had to modify mine, but not because of the water issue, but because the engine must be adjusted hard to STRB to get the alignment correct, so I had to widen the cutout.
Another note, but related:
My 310 has air conditioning, would never pay myself to have it added, but it came with the boat. Works great when at the slip. The only problem is the numskull that installed it ran the condensate drain to under the engine. I will be re-routing it to one of the aft lockers (the one without the propane bottle) and T it into that drain.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My stuffing box drains right into a sump under the stuffing box and through a drain hole in either corner of the sump and into the bilge. The sump under the engine stays bright and clean, so I can monitor any coolant or oil leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.