Water Tanks

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
To remove BPA, you can use the filter or smaller in my post #18 above.
or any carbon active filter.
Jim...
Thanks Jim. That needs to be on my project list. For now we bring bottled water on board.
We have an RO system in the kitchen at home.

I added a filter to my tank's vent hose to keep critters from crawling in. It has a bowl you can clean out. Saw it in Practical Sailor. Not a great picture. It's a very tight space under the V-berth
20190801_190922.jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
"Contrary to popular belief, the bottled water you buy in the store does not contain bisphenol A, (BPA) an industrial chemical. BPA is found in rigid plastics, such as 5-gallonbottles, not in single serve plastics. The EPA has also said that low levels of BPA are not harmful, but many people believe otherwise."

You guys worry too much.

My tank is plastic. I just have to worry about BPAs
My understanding is that plastic boat water tanks are polyethylene; I know Ronco's are. There are no BPAs in polyethylene.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
I have done this repair on both forward and mid ships tanks, first one was 3 years ago and still holding up perfectly, but i caution-the secret to success is surface preparation. if you have a pin hole, you must dig it out completely- increasing the size of the hole until you have removed all Corossion . This sounds scary, but i ended up with some 18 actual holes of varying sizes up to about 3/16".I then sealed each carefully with JB water weld.Really good keying on the entire surface is also critical, to give the Jotun Jotacote a surface to bite into . I also started my jotacote by doing all tank seams and covering all JB filled holes ,letting this dry well before the first full coat . I then successively applied a minimum 4 full coats. I also should add that i replaced the aluminum pick up tube with a potable water plastic tube that i secured to the old aluminum tube that was left plugged at both ends and sealed and of course heavily coated in jotacoat.
Please feel free to msg me with any questions you may have - it is a very worth while project.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You have more patience than me! I would just have a plastic tank made.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Why do you assume they don't have it tested???
I did not assume that.

I did conjecture, based on the statement “I don’t think it is chlorinated” that the poster was uninformed as to any test results on the well. Based on experience and human nature of property owners not to post testing results for wells that are in use on their property I deduced the possibility that this was the case for a well in use at this marina. I provided the poster with local information regarding well testing. Additionally that the Massachusetts EPA Department identifies that many wells in the state are not tested.

Only the local users can really identify any additional facts.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I have done this repair on both forward and mid ships tanks, first one was 3 years ago and still holding up perfectly, but i caution-the secret to success is surface preparation. if you have a pin hole, you must dig it out completely- increasing the size of the hole until you have removed all Corossion . This sounds scary, but i ended up with some 18 actual holes of varying sizes up to about 3/16".I then sealed each carefully with JB water weld.Really good keying on the entire surface is also critical, to give the Jotun Jotacote a surface to bite into . I also started my jotacote by doing all tank seams and covering all JB filled holes ,letting this dry well before the first full coat . I then successively applied a minimum 4 full coats. I also should add that i replaced the aluminum pick up tube with a potable water plastic tube that i secured to the old aluminum tube that was left plugged at both ends and sealed and of course heavily coated in jotacoat.
Please feel free to msg me with any questions you may have - it is a very worth while project.
What was the size of the tanks and what would you guess the cost pre tank was for the process?

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
I have repaired 2 of my tanks by cutting an inspection hole and using thickened epoxy...that was 7 years ago and alot of use and weather

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
two points;
the jotun jotacoat is Australian government certified for potable water, so the alu tank taint issue goes away! Second, i also use an under sink water filter for a drinking water spout set into sink surround.

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
hunter passage 42 Stony Pt., NY
Regarding aluminum corrosion leading to tank perforation. My 39 year old tank is still without leaks, however, the aluminum pickup tube became perforated a few years ago and had to be addressed. Close examination after a 6" clean-out port was installed in the tank top revealed that the pickup tube suffered more corrosion damage near the bottom than at the top. This undoubtedly is because the tank water level is often below the very top. I cut the tube off about two inches from the top and sleeved it with a vinyl hose that reached the tank bottom. The aluminum tube was corroded from both the inside and the outside so it is no surprise that it failed before the tank which has water contact only on the inside. In addition, the tank aluminum is thicker than the pickup tube. I suspect that your first sign of trouble will be your pickup tube drawing air as well as water. It can be fixed simply and that repair may be all that you need. It is also beneficial to use the clean-out to completely dry the tank bottom for winter storage.
The pick up tube was in much worse shape than the tank itself. Both issues needed to be addressed.