Water tanks leak when full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Gilmour

We have a new Catalina 36. The water tanks leak around the inspection plates when full because the tanks flex when full. How can we reliably fill them 90% full without tearing up the bunks wo see the tanks, or how can we get them to seal???

R

rp

Should not leak

Jack, Check to see if there is an O-ring on the threaded closure of the inspection port. Also on the intake hose, there should be teflon tape around the threads of the barb that's screwed into the tank. The tanks shouldn't leak at all. If you can't see anything wrong, contact your dealer. Since this is a new boat, this is covered under warranty. RP

R

rp

Maybe no o-ring

Jack, Check to see if there is an O-ring on the threaded closure of the inspection port. Also on the intake hose, there should be teflon tape around the threads of the barb that's screwed into the tank. The tanks shouldn't leak at all. If you can't see anything wrong, contact your dealer. Since this is a new boat, this is covered under warranty. RP

T

Tom

Like the previous posted said. Since its new have

dealer fix it. With that said I have a '99 Cat36MKII and the aft starboard water tank did the same thing. No there are no o-rings on the inspection ports, just teflon tape. I suspect the tanks that are leaking have 2 problems. 1) not enough teflon tape 2) Inspection port not screwed on tight enough. I did the easy fix (I got idea from someone else). I used the plastic from a ziplock baggie and placed over the hole and then screw down inpsection plate. It works very well. As for the tanks flexing when full, well mine does that too. I think the water overflow for that aft starboard water tank is not routed the greatest, causing the the pressure from the overflow tube to exceed the pressure from a full tank (thus water pressure leaking out of inspection port and not the overflow!). Notice that the forward tank doesn't seem to Overfill & overflow ?... I believe the cause is because when the overflow tube on the aft starboard water tank comes off the tank it is on the top of it, then it is routed *down* below the tank and then back up a couple of feet. Too much pressure for the overflow system to handle. (Notice the aft starboard water tank bulges when full even though if you take off the overflow tube you can blow the water out of it).....I have not figured out a solution for that yet. I just live with it.

J

Jack Gilmour

O rings in place

O rings are in place and inspection covers are as tight as I can get them. All three leak and the worst one is the forward one. I will try the plastic bag trick if I can get the covers back off. They are now so tight I may have to invent a tool to remove them.

R

rp

cross-threaded

Do the threads of the cover match up with the tank?? Or do they want to cross-thread instead? Is the o-ring the right size (diameter) so it makes contact? You shouldn't have to put a bag or teflon tape, the o-ring should give you the right seal. rp.

P

Paul

inspection ports

We have a new C36MII also. All three of our inspection ports leak when full too. And they all have O rings and are screwed down tight. Been having too much fun to try and figure it out. But it's not a lot of fun fighting the matress in the aft cabin to check when filling tanks. We quit putting the screws in the covers. May try taking out the O rings and see how the plastic bag trick works.

M

Michael McCann

Water tank leak when full.

I have a 1993 C 36 (not a Mk II). It has 3 tanks, the center aft will leak through the inspection port when full. The reason mine leaks is due to pressure because when it is nearly full the vent is under water and no longer vents. I have not tried using teflon tape on the inspection port, nor have I made changes to the venting plumbing. Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.