Water Tank Leakage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

christopher bayer

good morning everyone: it's certainly been raining like mad in the metro new york area. unfortunately. i have a 2003 hunter 426. i "seem" to either be using too much water, or perhaps i am losing water.i think it might be the latter.the boat is equipped with two 75 gallon tanks. has anyone else had this type of experience? please advise and thank you for your help.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
150 gallons isn't actually that much

If your water tank were leaking, you'd have water in the bilge. If you don't, you don't have a leak, you're wasting water. Your water pump moves around 3 gpm (gal/minute)...so if you let water run as you do at home when you wash dishes, brush your teeth etc...take 10-15 minute (or longer) showers...you can go through 150 gallons very quickly. Most boat owners learn very quickly that it's necessary to conserve water. When you brush your teeth, turn it on to wet the brush...turn it off...turn it back on only to spit and rinse. Fill the sink to wash dishes, turn it off...stack the clean dishes soapy...turn on water only to rinse 'em all off at once, or refill the sink with clean water and dunk 'em one by one. When you shower, run water only long enough to get wet...turn it off while you lather up...turn it on to rinse off. A book of hilarious definitions called something like "Sailing: the fine art of going nowhere at great expense while getting wet and cold" includes on that goes something like, "if you want to experience showering on a boat, stand naked in a very small closet with a very large, very wet dog." Before watermakers became affordable and common, that wasn't much of an exaggeration! Once you've taught yourself to conserve water onboard, you may find yourself doing many of the same things at home too (except for "navy showers")...which, as increased population puts more and more demand on fresh water resources, especially in densely populated areas, is a pretty good idea....'cuz we've become so used to having an unlimited supply that we waste a LOT of water without realizing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.