water separator

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Knight

I was told today that I should install a water separator inline from my fuel tank to the Yanmar diesel engine. My question is: is this a hard job? Are there any special things I should be prepared for?

J

Jim Oursler

Water separator installation

Definitely install the water separator.. One shot of water to the system and the injectors are history (vaporized). Water separator is easily installed. The hard part used to be bleeding the system. Installing a squeeze bulb solves that issue.. provided you know all the points to bleed....typically the separator cap, fuel filter bleed screw, and the injection inlet on engine at 1 or all cylinders. Typically this is in the owners manual. 1) measure OD of fuel tank outlet without disconnecting fuel hose. If you disconnect.. you can't motor until you perform step 8 below. 2)Purchase separator with proper inlet/outlet port 3)Unless you have an electric pump, purchase an outboard gas engine fule line squeeze bulb (bulb only, not hoses)with proper size fittings.. typically I have seen two sizes... get the smaller. 4)Buy 4 hose clamps. 5)turn off fuel at tank outlet 6) cut out 3- 6 inches of hose in area where you want to install filter and pump. filter should mounted to some wall surface. 7)Use the 3-6 inch hose length to couple filter and pump in any order between fuel tank and engine. (While at this stage, you may also want to replace fuel filter. 8)Turn on fuel at tank. 8) Now go to your motor makers instruction manual and bleed the whole system.. But where they say to crank engine.. you just squeeze bulb. Last weekend I installed the bulb for my Hunter 34 with Yanmar diesel, as I already had the separator. Using the squeeze bulb there is no need to prefill the separator or fuel filter. Works great and saves possible damage to the starter from overheating/overcranking. Jim in Dallas

S

Sam Lust

Proper filtration

What you want to install is a Racor fuel filter-- NONE other! The Racor element is treated with a chemical process that almost entirely stops water dead. The filter head also includes a small pump so you needn't mess around with a squeeze bulb which lasts about a season and a half! Also,I can guarantee you a little bit of water will NOT "Vaporize" your injectors. I had severe water problems untill I removed my tank and cleaned it and had lots of water up at the injectors. It simply stops the engine. Cold. "Do not pass go" dead. Once you clean the system and bleed properly (not too dificult) it runs fine. Advice: (FREE!) Remove your tank, cut a hole in it and scrub it out, put in a view port, install a Racor. I have mine on the bulkhead that backs up on the head where it's accessable. If you want more details I can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.