water pump inlet fitting to engine block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2008
Ranger 26 Mandeville, LA
as you all know , when it comes to building an engine , most manufacturers do not know what anti- sieze is. they slap the parts on and either fresh or salt water will undoubtably over time seal those cast iron threads forever.
quick replacement can and did turn into huge problem. in trying to change out anode on this fitting, resulted in the piece breaking off the threaded fitting into the block. i had to get a 6" file and hand file three cuts on the nipple ,internally to be able to break out of the hole . it worked . next step was to go and buy the same size pipe thread tap and recut the threads in the engine block. now was there another fitting to be had ? well yes luckily. but i decided to fix the other one , just to have a spare. now i cleaned up the old one and went and purchased a nipple and wondered how i was going to weld iron nipple to cast iron body. there is a cast iron rod made that you don't have to preheat the piece first . also you can keep welding right through the flux without stopping. also i did not have a problem with cracking from the cool down. it is machinable but not fileable. called Magna 770 ac or dc rods . not cheap but who cares !

Status
Not open for further replies.